How to handle passwords via VBA to Yahoo Quote Server?

  1. #1
    David
    Guest

    How to handle passwords via VBA to Yahoo Quote Server?

    Hi -

    Yahoo has a great quote server, which provides real-time quotes if you
    pay their premium charge of $13 per month, If you don't pay, you get
    delayed quotes.

    The syntax and instructions for quote server are here:
    http://www.gummy-stuff.org/Yahoo-data.htm

    I have discovered that if you create a web query to access this quote
    server from within a VBA procedure, you get delayed quotes even if you
    have paid for real time quotes, and even if you have logged in to Yahoo
    from Yahoo's web page. In other words, their server recognizes when it
    is being called from a regular browser window, and when it is being
    called by a program; in the first case, it gives you real time quotes
    if you've subscribed, but in the latter case it doesn't recognize that
    you've subscribed.

    Does anyone know how to pass the user ID and password to the quote
    server so real time quotes can be obtained? It seems that it must
    some how be passed with the URL since logging in one the Yahoo site
    apparently does not solve the problem.

    TIA,
    David

  2. #2
    Scott
    Guest

    Re: How to handle passwords via VBA to Yahoo Quote Server?

    Have you asked Yahoo! themselves?

    Scott <><

  3. #3
    David
    Guest

    Re: How to handle passwords via VBA to Yahoo Quote Server?

    Hi, Scott - I have. So far they haven't replied. Perhaps the issue is
    that they don't really document this interface. The link above is to
    a third part site that documents the interface.

    - David

  4. #4
    David
    Guest

    Re: How to handle passwords via VBA to Yahoo Quote Server?

    OK, I got the answer, thanks to help on the XLtraders Yahoo group. You
    have to sign into Yahoo from within a browser instance created in
    excel. Then it hands back real time data as it should.

  5. #5
    BillyRogers
    Guest

    Re: How to handle passwords via VBA to Yahoo Quote Server?

    So how do you automate the login from excel??
    --
    Billy Rogers

    Dallas,TX

    Currently Using Office 2000