Problems using MS Query to access an Excel file

  1. #1
    alfredo
    Guest

    Problems using MS Query to access an Excel file

    I imagine there are easier ways to work with this, but I want to use
    "queries" on a set of data which is currently in an excel file.

    However, when I try to do:

    Data/Import External Data/NewDatabase Query/Excel Files ...
    .... on the excel file. I get the following error message from Microsoft Query:

    "This data source contains no visible tables"

    What am I doing wrong? How do I set up the excel file so that it is clearly
    seen as a table?

    [It all works well when I do something similar with a very similar an Access
    db file.]

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Problems using MS Query to access an Excel file

    Select your data,
    Do Insert=>Name=>Define

    Enter Database under name and click Add.

    then save your workbook and try it again.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Problems using MS Query to access an Excel file

    You've got to give MS Query a little help in finding the data list. It looks
    for named ranges. :

    In Excel. select your data list
    Click in the Name Box (just above the Col_A column heading)
    Enter your range name and press the [Enter] key
    (That will create the range name)

    Now, try using MS Query.

    BTW, It's a good idea come up with a naming convention now, since range
    names can be so helpful. I use prefixes: LU_ for lookup ranges (LU_MyData),
    rng for data sources (rngMyData), ep_ for Essbase Pull ranges (ep_MyData),
    etc. That way similar range types will group together when you display them
    in Edit>Go To or with the[F3] key when putting them in formulas.

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  4. #4
    alfredo
    Guest

    Re: Problems using MS Query to access an Excel file

    Thanks to both. Frighteningly simple if you know how!

    Howwever, I am still getting an error message :

    "Syntax error in FROM clause."

    I will keep trying, as it is likely to be something I have done wrong.