Macros across office programs...

  1. #1
    Kat
    Guest

    Macros across office programs...

    Is there any way to write a macro that will open an existing word document
    and insert certain fields from my spreadsheet automatically when specific
    text is typed into a specific field?
    In depth/personal replies are greatly appreciated, and can be sent to kdt AT
    chainstarusa DOT com

    thanks
    kat

  2. #2
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Macros across office programs...

    kat,
    You need to look in Automation, the means by which you can control one
    application from another. e.g.
    Dim MyWord as Word.Application
    Set MyWord=New Word.Application
    MyWord.Documents.Add
    .... etc (but I don't know the Word Object Model)
    The easist way to start is record a macro in Word, so you can see what you
    need achieve, then transfer this code to Excel, changing the references to
    allow for the fact that the code is now in Excel (i.e. so all calls go
    through the MyWord, or related, object).
    Make sure you .Quit Word and set all object to Nothing, otherwise you will
    trouble getting rid of the instances that you create.

    Google for "Office Automation", or use that old fashion reference, Your
    Local Library.

    Nick

    news:[email protected]...