Column with semicolon-separated values

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor
    Denmark
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 365

    Column with semicolon-separated values

    I have a col with a number of semicolon separated values, just as if I had imported a complete .csv file directly into this one single col witout using the delimiter facility. A typical value is 13;K18;Novem4;Alfa;

    Now I want to separate the values out into the neighbouring cols, just as if I had imported a .csv file delimiting it in the proces.
    If above typical value were in cell A1, then B1 would contain "13", C1 would contain "K18", D1 would contain "Novem4" and E1 would contain the value "Alfa"

    Is this possible without having to isolate the col, save it as a text file, import it again, etc..?

    NSV

  2. #2
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Column with semicolon-separated values

    Hi NSV,

    With the data selected, try:

    Data | Text to Columns | Delimited | select the semicolon delimiter |

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Chris Marlow
    Guest

    RE: Column with semicolon-separated values

    NSV,

    From the menus Use 'Data' - 'Text to Columns'. Selected 'Delimited', hit
    Next. In 'Delimiters uncheck whatever is checked, check 'Other' and type semi
    colon in (preview now shows what you want) & hit Finish.

    Regards,

    Chris.

    --
    Chris Marlow
    MCSD.NET, Microsoft Office XP Master

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Denmark
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 365
    Oops, that was a bit embarassing. So simple and I couldn't find it myself, but then - I've never noticed this function before...
    Thanks a lot!!

    NSV