Named ranges vs setting range in code

  1. #1
    Tim
    Guest

    Named ranges vs setting range in code

    Hi all,

    I have some code that needs to refer to ranges a fair bit and was
    wondering if there are any differences speed wise between

    (a) referring to named ranges ie.
    x = range("Name")(j,i).value

    and
    (b)actually setting a range equal to a named range in the code ie.
    set MyRange = range("Name")
    x = myrange(j,i).value

    is there even any difference at all between these two methods? I was
    wondering if once set it would be faster to get values from MyRange
    than to get them from range("Name"), if this is true there must be some
    overhead in setting MyRange. So there must be a point after accessing
    the range a number of times where setting MyRange becomes more
    efficient.

    I can test all this for myself but was just wondering if anybody could
    give me some info first as to whether I would be wasting my time.

    kind regards,

    Tim

  2. #2
    Jim Cone
    Guest

    Re: Named ranges vs setting range in code

    Tim,

    I use range objects instead of named ranges whenever possible.

    I just ran a test of 10,000 loops and the range object was about 9% faster.
    Or you could say using the range name was about 10% slower...

    Range name at .791 seconds
    Range object at .719 seconds

    Jim Cone
    San Francisco, USA

  3. #3
    Tim
    Guest

    Re: Named ranges vs setting range in code

    Thanks for taking the time to do that Jim,

    The mystery is solved and the named ranges are gone.

    Tim