Getting RAND() value but NOT its Function?!?

  1. #1
    Mike
    Guest

    Getting RAND() value but NOT its Function?!?

    Hi everyone,

    Say I am using a linear term such as " b * X "; where "b" is a
    parameter while "X" is a variable...

    Now, assume that "b" is RAND() value and assume I am using an excel
    optimizer. When I run the optimizer, it complains that the problem
    doesn't satisfy linearity conditions; because RAND() is a function so
    it turns "b * X" to become non-linear!!!

    I tried to go around this by creating another cell which copy and
    value-paste the RAND() value into it. It solves the problem, but now I
    have different problem: when RAND() value is copied and value-pased
    and, by the time it is put in the new cell, the original cell which has
    RAND() function changes its value.....and so on!!

    How can I go around this correctly, so I keep the model linear and keep
    RAND() values in both cells same?

    Thanks,
    Mike

  2. #2
    K Dales
    Guest

    RE: Getting RAND() value but NOT its Function?!?

    The RAND() function is problematic this way since it recalculates with the
    other cells, and you need the other cells to recalculate so you cannot keep
    the random cell from a recalc. You could turn calculation to manual, put
    your RAND() function in a cell on a different sheet, and then use the "Calc
    Sheeet" (in Options... Calculation) but that is a cumbersome workaround.

    Instead, don't use the Rand Function but use this VBA code attached to a
    Command Button:
    Public Sub RandomValue()
    Randomize
    Range("A1") = Rnd()
    End Sub

    This will feed a new random value into A1 when - and only when - you press
    the button.
    --
    - K Dales