Closed Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3

File Extensions

  1. #1
    Robin Clay
    Guest

    File Extensions

    Greetings !

    OK, so my add-on hard drive is a tad screwed up - somehow my "My Pictures"
    Folder has been converted into a file.

    CHKDSK has been so kind(?) as to "recover" these "lost files", and name them
    as FILE0001.CHK, etc. in folders called FOUND.000 etc.

    As I understand it, some of those files are plain text files, so I could
    simply rename those with the extension .txt

    Well, that's not to difficult... ish !

    I intend to get VBA to load up the first 64(?) characters of every file, and
    compare these with those from the picture files I have back up, I can
    eliminate those, leaving to be recovered only those files that I have omitted
    to back up.

    I have over fifty thousand .CHK file, in seven FOUND folders
    That number will fit on one Excel WorkSheet.

    If VBA checks that the first 64(?) characters are all between CHAR(32) and
    CHAR(127), then (if they are), VBA can rename them with the .txt extension.

    Now, using the incomparable and essential
    LIST Version 6.4a 9/21/88
    (c) Copyright Vernon D. Buerg 1983-88
    139 White Oak Circle, Petaluma CA 94952
    For personal use only. May not be sold.
    it seems to me that
    all .ZIP files seem to start with Hex(504B03) i.e. "PK"
    all .PDF files seem to start with Hex(25504446) i.e. "%PDF"
    all BitMap files (.BMP) seem to start with "BM"
    all .TIF files seem to start with Hex(49492A) i.e. II*

    So if SKS could
    a) confirm that my logic is sound; and
    b) advise me on how many characters I need to test; and
    c) provide the information that is contained within
    each file that identifies its type,

    then I can rename the files with
    the correct extensions and look at the contents !

    Pretty please?

    Or any other ideas - perhaps there is already
    software "out there" that I could use ?

    Others MUST have had this challenge before !

    The Symantec help line couldn't (or wouldn't) advise.

    Regards

    Robin

  2. #2

    Re: File Extensions

    Before you do this, you may want to try a few renames manually. Open the file
    (in notepad?) and see what the first few characters are.

    Then rename that file accordingly.

    Then try to open it in the appropriate application.

    My bet (from looking at .chk's in the past) is that not many of them will be
    opened.

    I would put a few of those *.chk files in their own dedicated folder. It'll be
    easier to clean up the bad .bmp files if they're segregated from the real .bmp
    files.

    Then try something like:

    Option Explicit
    Sub LookAtFiles()

    Dim myFileNames As Variant
    Dim fCtr As Long

    myFileNames = Application.GetOpenFilename _
    (FileFilter:="CheckDisk Files, *.chk", _
    MultiSelect:=True)

    If IsArray(myFileNames) Then
    For fCtr = LBound(myFileNames) To UBound(myFileNames)
    Call LookAtAndRename(CStr(myFileNames(fCtr)))
    Next fCtr
    End If

    MsgBox "done"

    End Sub

    Sub LookAtAndRename(myFileName As String)

    'all .ZIP files seem to start with Hex(504B03) i.e. "PK"
    'all .PDF files seem to start with Hex(25504446) i.e. "%PDF"
    'all BitMap files (.BMP) seem to start with "BM"
    'all .TIF files seem to start with Hex(49492A) i.e. II*

    Dim fNum As Long
    Dim Buffer As String * 64
    Dim NewFileName As String
    Dim myExt As String

    NewFileName = Left(myFileName, Len(myFileName) - 4)

    fNum = FreeFile
    Open myFileName For Binary As #fNum
    Buffer = Space(64)
    Get fNum, , Buffer
    Close fNum

    Buffer = LCase(Buffer)

    myExt = ""
    If Buffer Like "bm*" Then
    myExt = "bmp"
    ElseIf Buffer Like "pk*" Then
    myExt = "zip"
    ElseIf Buffer Like "%pdf*" Then
    myExt = "pdf"
    ElseIf Buffer Like "ii*" Then
    myExt = "tif"
    End If

    If myExt = "" Then
    'do nothing
    Else
    Name myFileName As NewFileName & "." & myExt

    Run the first procedure and select as many as you want (ctrl-a to grab them all)
    or click and ctrl-click to select a few less.

    (don't get your hopes up!)

  3. #3
    Robin Clay
    Guest