Accidents Per Million Miles - How do I write this?

  1. #1

    Accidents Per Million Miles - How do I write this?

    I need to calculate the number of Accidents Per Million miles traveled.

    I have a spreadsheet "Mileage" that has total miles per month in columns:
    1,047,178 1,014,900 1,050,481 1,049,958 948,471

    I have a spreadsheet "Accidents" that has the total accidents per month in colums:
    8 11 6 16 9

    I don't have any idea how to write this macro. I have two years worth of data and each month new data is entered as totals.

    The miles driven data starts in Row 8 column 3 and number of accidents data starts in row 9 column 3.

    Perhaps its the statistics calculations I don't grasp.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks in Advance

    Craig

  2. #2
    Gary Keramidas
    Guest

    Re: Accidents Per Million Miles - How do I write this?

    accidents/(miles/1000000)

    --

    Gary

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Accidents Per Million Miles - How do I write this?

    use a formula in row 10 column 3

    =C9/C8

    then drag fill to the right

    Tom Ogilvy

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Accidents Per Million Miles - How do I write this?

    Just divide # accidents by miles,

    =C9/C8

    copy the formula across as far as you will ever need. To cater for missing
    data, use

    =IF(C9="","",C9/C8)

    Bob Phillips

  5. #5
    Gary Keramidas
    Guest

    Re: Accidents Per Million Miles - How do I write this?

    sorry, hit send by mistake

    --

    Gary

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Accidents Per Million Miles - How do I write this?

    sorry, you said per Million Miles. Here is a correction.

    =C9/(C8/1000000)

    or

    =(C9/C8)*1000000

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:%[email protected]...

  7. #7

    Re: Accidents Per Million Miles - How do I write this?

    Hi
    I'll make two assumptions;
    1. By 2 "spreadsheets" you mean 2 worksheets within the same workbook,
    one called Mileage and one called Accidents
    2. Every mileage entry has a corresponding Accident entry, so your two
    worksheets have a range of data with the same number of rows and
    columns.

    Create a third sheet called "Accidents Per Million Miles"
    In Cell A2 of this sheet:
    1. Type =
    2. Go to the "Accidents" sheet and click on cell C9 (which is where you
    say the Accidents data starts)
    3. type *1,000,000/
    4. Go to the "mileage" sheet and click on cell C8 (which is where you
    say the Mileage data starts)
    5. Press return
    This will give you your accidents per million miles for the first
    mileage/accident numbers.

    To get all the other accidents per million miles numbers drag the
    formula you just created across the required number of columns (click
    on the little square at the bottom right of the cell with your mouse
    and drag) then, without letting go of the mouseclick, drag down the
    formula the number of rows you need.

    regards
    Paul