Traffic Lights

  1. #1
    Pedro Serra
    Guest

    Traffic Lights

    Im trying to find a way to, change the colour of a circle from white to
    green, yellow or red according to a range of values in a excel cell.

    Unfortunately, Im not experience in programming and Im not able to build
    the code that can allow the customization of this circles that will function
    as traffic lights.

    Regards,

    Pedro Serra

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Traffic Lights

    Andy Pope has an example on his website at
    http://www.andypope.info/charts/trafficlight.htm.

    A simpler way might be just to use coloured cells. This is extracted from a
    web page that I am building

    Another useful technique that is used in management reports is to highlight
    the data using the 'traffic lights' technique, on target items are in green,
    items slightly slipping are shown in yellow, and big slippages are shown in
    red.

    The will be flagged as follows:

    * green - estimated cost is less than or equal to budget
    * yellow - estimated cost.is less than or equal to budget + 25%
    * red - estimated cost is greater than budget + 25%

    As well as showing the lights colours, the background is shaded to provide
    emphasis.

    The conditional formatting will be formula driven, and to avoid showing a
    light on a blank line kit tests for no budget, as well as the spend status.

    It would be very simple to do the highlighting by shading a cell, maybe the
    status cell or one of the amount cells, such as the budget. Whilst this
    works, it would be better to show as a traffic light shows it, a coloured
    circle. This is achieved by using the Winding font.

    To create this traffic lights, follow these steps:

    * Step 1.
    Select the first data row in the 'Status' column
    Set the font of this cell to 'Winding' Enter a lower-case letter l in
    the cell
    Centre the text in this cell
    Copy this cell down to the appropriate number of rows.

    * Step 2.
    Goto Menu Format>Conditional Formatting
    Change Condition 1 to Formula Is
    Add a formula of
    =AND(B2<>"",D2<=B2)
    Click the Format button
    Select the Font Tab
    Select bright green from the Color dropdown
    Select the Pattern Tab
    Select dark green from the palette
    OK

    * Step 3.
    Goto Menu Format>Conditional Formatting
    Change Condition 1 to Formula Is
    Add a formula of
    =AND(B2<>"",D2<=B2*1.25)
    Click the Format button
    Select the Font Tab
    Select yellow from the Color dropdown
    Select the Pattern Tab
    Select dark green from the palette
    OK

    * Step 4.
    Goto Menu Format>Conditional Formatting
    Change Condition 1 to Formula Is
    Add a formula of
    =AND(B2<>"",D2>B2*1.25)
    Click the Format button
    Select the Font Tab
    Select red from the Color dropdown
    Select the Pattern Tab
    Select dark green from the palette
    OK

    OK the dialog, and it is all done.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Pedro Serra
    Guest

    Re: Traffic Lights

    Thanks Bob,

    This is very near from what I was looking for but as I said I'm not very
    experience in programming and what I need is to have only one circle that can
    have 4 colours:

    White - value in a cell is null
    Green - value in a cell between 1 and 2
    Yellow - value in a cell between 2 and 3
    Red - value in a cell between 3 and 4

    The colour of the circle should change according to the range defined. Do u
    think u can send to my e-mail [email protected], an example with this,
    because I can’t discover the way to adapt your worksheet trafficlight to what
    I was trying to get.

    Thanks in advanced!

    Pedro