Count Duplicates in a range - skip blanks

  1. #1
    jhahes
    Guest

    Count Duplicates in a range - skip blanks

    What I am trying to do is this

    1. Go to column C of sheet1 and highlight from C2: to the last entry in the column. ex(C35)

    2. Name the selected Range "PurchaseOrderNumber"

    3. Go to the first empty column - row 2 and put in this formula

    =IF(COUNTIF(PurchaseOrderNumber,C2)>1,"Duplicate","")

    4. Fill down this in the empty column to the corresponding last entry in column C (see step1) ex (c35)

    5. then have a message box to alert if there are any displays.

    ******** the only condition is ******
    1. in the Column where the purchase order numbers are - some are blank, some are text, and some are numbers.

    I have tried to used the macro recorder for certain parts of the code but I am stuck now.

    I am basically trying to find if there are any duplicate numbers in this range.

  2. #2
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: Count Duplicates in a range - skip blanks

    Why not use a formula:

    =IF(ISNUMBER(C2),IF(COUNTIF($C$2:$C$35,C2)>1,"duplicate",""),"") will check
    for numbers only.

  3. #3
    jhahes
    Guest

    Still Need Help

    I like the solution

    However

    1. there are blanks, text, and numbers - I want the code to skip the blanks

    2. I don't know how many rows or columns of data the sheet will have, it could change

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Toppers
    Guest

    Re: Count Duplicates in a range - skip blanks

    It ignores blanks ... why not test it? . and your posting talked about column
    C only. Is your column remark relating to the postion of the column where the
    formula is to be placed?

    Easiest solution is to insert column at beginning of sheet, do run, and then
    delete it.