hyperlink with cell value as part of address

  1. #1

    Smile hyperlink with cell value as part of address

    I have what is hopefully a simple request, but was unable to get enough specific help with only the search function to complete this task myself.

    What I have:
    I have a vendor-supplied bill of materials spreadsheet with part numbers in a column. I want to single-click select any cell containing a drawing number, then click one "button" with a hyperlink to open the pdf drawing, based on the value of the selected active cell.

    For the following example, the text displayed in the cell is "1234567" and is the part number. My current hyperlink looks like this:
    "http://cad.company.com/vault/AccessFile.asp?DrawingID=1234567&Source=FM&FileType=PDF"

    My question(s) is/are:
    What is the proper syntax to obtain the active cell value and replace it in the hyperlink? Is it even possible?

    I know I could set up separate hyperlinks for each cell, but I would like to do it this way to save time and reduce errors. (I do not know VBA, yet.)

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: hyperlink with cell value as part of address

    Hi chevee55

    Try this with in A1 the number

    =HYPERLINK("http://cad.company.com/vault/AccessFile.asp?DrawingID=" & A1 &"&Source=FM&FileType=PDF")

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: hyperlink with cell value as part of address

    I would remove the hyperlink from that cell and use this in the cell to its
    right:

    =hyperlink("http://cad.company.com/vault/AccessFile.asp?DrawingID=" & A1
    & "&Source=FM&FileType=PDF", A1)

    (all one cell)

  4. #4
    Thank you for the replies, and it coincides with my search results. I had tried it, but the cell call-out gets converted to "%22%20&%20A1%20&%20%22", so the hyperlink fails.

    However, I will clarify my question further, in that I want the hyperlink to be variable, to handle whatever cell I select. It would automatically "grab" the contents of the active cell that I have single-clicked on, and make that part of the hyperlink path.
    Is that possible without resorting to VBA?

  5. #5

    Re: hyperlink with cell value as part of address

    I don't think so.