Conditional formatting not getting sorted

  1. #1
    Lon Sarnoff
    Guest

    Conditional formatting not getting sorted

    My spreadsheet contains a variety of conditional formats. It appears that
    those formats are not "travelling" with their cell values when the a range is
    sorted by the code shown below, and so the newly positioned data values have
    incorrect conditions applied to determine their new formats. What am I
    missing? (I am using Excel 2003.)

    Selection.Sort Key1:=Range("W5"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlGuess, _
    OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom, _
    DataOption1:=xlSortNormal

    --
    Lon Sarnoff

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Conditional formatting not getting sorted

    Hi Lon,
    Conditional Formatting is like regular cell formatting in being attached to cells.

    Sorting, Some notes on sorting in Excel
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...ng.htm#borders

    Shows an example of the shading traveling with the cell but not the borders.
    The borders can't travel because borders are shared between cells.

    So what is involved with your Conditional Formatting. Mostly what I have
    for Conditional Formatting is applied to entire columns. So migration or lack
    of it is not a problem for me, plus I don't often sort such lists. What do your
    formulas look like for the C.F. and how were they applied.
    entire column(s)
    copying formatting of a range of cells
    individual cells formatted
    what is involved
    fonts: color, size, weight (bold), italic
    borders
    shading and patterns

    nothing yet related to your problem on my Conditional Formatting page
    that I am aware of unless
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/condfmt.htm
    ---
    HTH,

  3. #3
    Lon Sarnoff
    Guest

    Re: Conditional formatting not getting sorted

    The conditional formatting formulae take the following form:

    =AND(ISBLANK(G8)=FALSE,hascomment(G8)=FALSE,OR(G8/AVERAGE(C8:E8)<1-$C$43,
    G8/AVERAGE(C8:E8)>1+$C$43))

    The formatting applied is a change of the cells color.

    In the formula, "hascomment" is a user defined function. Not all the cells,
    however, have the same formula. The cells in some rows do not have
    conditional formatting, and serve as summaries of certain rows above. The
    problem after the sort is that some of the data to which the conditional
    formatting should be applied end up in the positions of the summarizing rows,
    and vice versa.

    Recognizing the impact of the sort upon the summarizing rows, before the
    sort I substitute the cells' values for their formulas. I had been hoping
    that the conditional formatting would migrate with those values.

    --
    Lon Sarnoff

  4. #4
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Conditional formatting not getting sorted

    Hi Lon,
    If you have totals you are somehow keeping them out of the sort.

    If you have an indicator on the row or if not make a flag then include that flag in
    your conditional formatting to ignore formatting with that condition. then you
    can format the entire column(s).

    =AND(M8="", ISBLANK(G8)=FALSE, HasComment(G8)=FALSE,OR(G8/AVERAGE(C8:E8)<1-$C$43,
    G8/AVERAGE(C8:E8)>1+$C$43))

  5. #5
    Lon Sarnoff
    Guest

    Re: Conditional formatting not getting sorted

    Thanks for the suggestions. As I mentioned, however, the problem is in both
    directions, i.e., cells which are formatted and shouldn't be, and cells which
    are not formatted and should be.

    I have found a somewhat cumbersome work-around: parsing the cells before
    sort, creating separate copies and then rejoining them afterwards. I had
    been hoping that I was misunderstanding the migration issue, and that there
    would have been an easier remedy.

    Thanks
    --
    Lon Sarnoff

  6. #6
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Conditional formatting not getting sorted

    Hi Lon,
    My suggestion was to identify within the Conditional Formatting Formula
    whether or not the formula should be applied or not, so that you can use
    the C.F down entire columns.

    You have not indicated any reason why you can't do that..

    Obviously you can look at the sheet and tell that the
    formatting should not be applied to a cell, if you specify that within the
    formula then your problem is solved. That is why I suggested using an
    additional check in or with AND to add additional nesting levels.

    You can visually test the formula by placing it into a help column to see
    if it produces True or False.
    ---
    David McRitchie