Create dynamic dropdown from range including blanks

  1. #1
    Mike Mick
    Guest

    Create dynamic dropdown from range including blanks

    Hi there,

    I have a spreadsheet that includes a column of stages of development. This
    spreadsheet can be used for tracking issues for any of 9 stages. I'd like
    the user to be able to select a dropdown at the top of the page that shows a
    summary of current issues (anything where the stage column equals the
    selected value from the dropdown) and then 'other' issues that are outside
    this value.

    I'd also like to build the values in the dropdown based on a range of cells
    that could contain blanks. For instance if the issues list contains 5
    issues, I might have the defined range set to 300 rows. If the only two
    values in the range are Development and Testing, I want the dropdown to
    ignore the blanks and only show these two values. Any ideas on how to
    accomplish this? I'd like to eliminate the need for an extra hidden sheet if
    possible, as well as the need to define all nine phases in a list (so if
    future expansion added another phase, the code wouldn't need to change).
    Please let me know your thoughts, and thanks in advance.

    Best Regards,
    Mike Mick

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    RE: Create dynamic dropdown from range including blanks

    If this is set up like a database (and it sounds like it is), then Perhaps
    what you want is just to apply an autofilter to the data. The dropdown in
    the stage column would show the unique list of stages. Select a stage, then
    when you go to the issues column, only issues for that stage would show in
    the dropdown. If you select all your data including headers before applying
    the filter, then your filter will include data event when separated by blank
    rows.

    While this isn't exaclty what you described, it is very close conceptually
    and would be a lot cleaner than writing tons of code to essentially duplicte
    it with slight modifications.

    If you want to continue along the path you have stated, then see Debra
    Dalgleish's pages for some ideas:

    http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

    Tom Ogilvy