Number sorting

  1. #1

    Number sorting

    Hi, I have a serial number for every equipment.

    E.g.

    sno date
    1 21-mar-06
    2 22-mar-06
    3 23-mar-06

    Once the user delete the number 2 records, the number 3 will move up but the serial number remains as 3 how can i code it to adjust the serial number when a record is removed ?

  2. #2

    Re: Number sorting

    Hi
    For serial number 1 in A1 just type 1
    For the second serial number type =A1 + 1
    Fill this formula down and you will get the sequence 1, 2, 3, ..
    Deleting any row will re-number automatically as you required.

    regards
    Paul

  3. #3
    Hi, the sheet is created automatically every year so i cant type in the A1+1 manually. Is there any way i can do it using vba codes ?

  4. #4

    Re: Number sorting

    Hi
    You only type "=A1+1" once. Then you select the whole column from that
    point to the bottom of your data and do Edit, Fill, Down.

    regards
    Paul

  5. #5
    err but the serial number only increases when a new record is added in so i can't fill the serial number beforehand
    Last edited by ReD-DevIL; 03-30-2006 at 10:55 PM.