Need a conditional drop-down list (list contents)

  1. #1
    S&F Tie Guy
    Guest

    Need a conditional drop-down list (list contents)

    I am trying to limit the number of data entry errors from users.
    In cell F2, I have a drop-down box (data|validation|list) with the valid
    options.
    In cell D19, I need to have another drop-down box with a list of all valid
    options - based on the selection from cell F2. I have tables in the
    worksheet that provide the locations of the contingent data as both named
    ranges and exact matrix references.

    I have tried using formulas using IF and LOOKUP commands but the results I
    get (either a named range or the exact range depending on which I decide to
    use) are unusable for (data|validation|list). I am trying to use VBA's
    AutoFilter but am having trouble with it (I'm new to VBA, so no surprise
    there). Illustration may help clarify my ordeal

    Entry:
    Products F2 drop down box
    Options D19 drop-down box based on selection in cell F2.

    Tables:

    Product 1: PECB
    PECB Options List found in range AA5:AA10 (range called "OPTIONS-A")

    Product 2: GLUB
    GLUB Options List found in range AB5:AB15 (range called "OPTIONS-B")

    How do I get the range result from a Lookup formula or VBA's AutoFilter to
    show the values within the range?

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Need a conditional drop-down list (list contents)

    If I am understanding you correctly, create range names for each of the
    option lists of the product for those options. So range AA5:AA10 would be
    named PECB, etc.

    Then in the DV for the options use an allow type of list with a formula of
    =INDIRECT(product_list_cell)

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    S&F Tie Guy
    Guest

    Re: Need a conditional drop-down list (list contents)

    Thank you Bob,
    That worked beautifully! I've never used that particular function and noone
    here seemed to know it could be used as part of a DV list.

    Much appreciated.
    S&F Tie Guy
    (Steve)