UDF second range-input incorrect

  1. #1
    PBezucha
    Guest

    UDF second range-input incorrect

    Hi sages,

    Just for having weekend fun. Let's for simplicity have a UDF with two
    variant/ranges arguments. If the dimension of the second (distant) one
    differs from that of the first, calculation error in the function should be
    trapped and therefore registered by means of MsgBox. In the moment, however,
    when a user tries to select the second of range-inputs by dragging, even
    pointing at the first cell of this range is immediately accepted and, due to
    trapped error messages, the input obstinately fails. With difficulties two
    cells can be selected at once but nothing more. The user must shift the
    "dragging" selection to upper input line or type down the whole range address
    in the input box manually. How would a professional (especially the most
    valuable one) build the macro so that the UDF would be more user friendly?

    For elucidation of the problem:

    Function RangesDifferent(A, B) As Boolean
    If A.Count <> B.Count Then
    MsgBox "Dimensions of ranges differ"
    RangesDifferent = True
    End If
    End Function

    With all regards and thanks

    --
    Petr Bezucha

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: UDF second range-input incorrect

    My guess: a professional would not use MsgBox in a UDF. The purpose of a UDF
    is to return a value to a cell. Subroutines are used for all other purposes.
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Forum Guru
    North America
    MS-Off Ver
    2002/XP and 2007
    Posts
    15,856
    Are you calling the function from a worksheet cell or from within another procedure? Calling the function from a worksheet cell, I couldn't recreate the problem.

  4. #4
    PBezucha
    Guest

    Re: UDF second range-input incorrect

    Thanks for both remarks. First, you soothed my conscience: there is not a
    gimmick I could have passed. Second, you diverted my way from excessive care:
    I in fact fully realized that quite similar Slope and Intercept do not
    hesitate to return only #N/A in analogous situation.
    Best wishes for next useful answers to some screwy questions. Pity the
    number exponentially rises, so even the gems of replies are mostly lost.

    --
    Petr Bezucha

    MrShorty pÃ*Å¡e: