Set Group and Outline settings...

  1. #1

    Set Group and Outline settings...

    I've tried two different ways of having the Group and Outline settings
    defaulted to the way I want them whenever I open a workbook (I want the
    little plus signs to be above and to the left).

    Can't get either of them to work.

    Attempt #1 - modify the settings thru the command bar:

    Sub GroupAndOutline1()
    Dim SettingsPopup As CommandBarButton
    Set SettingsPopup =
    Application.CommandBars(1).Controls(7).Controls(9).Controls(7)
    <got stuck here>
    End Sub

    This got me almost there. I could do SettingsPopup.execute, and the
    window would pop up, but I couldn't figure out how to
    programatically set the booleans.

    Attempt #2 - modify settings via the Outline object

    Public Sub Workbook_Open()
    Dim ws As Worksheet
    For Each ws In Application.Worksheets
    Debug.Print ws.Name
    ws.Outline.SummaryRow = xlAbove
    ws.Outline.SummaryColumn = xlLeft
    Next ws
    End Sub

    This seems to work on its own (i.e. the same code in a macro), but when
    I use it like so in workbook_open, I get the following error when I
    open Excel:

    Run-time error "1004".
    Method "Worksheets" of object '_Application' failed.

    Which seems to me that it's saying that it thinks Worksheets is being
    used as a method (although why it's ok when I just call it on its own
    is confusing).

  2. #2

    Re: Set Group and Outline settings...

    Your code worked for me as is in my test workbook.

    Is there any chance that one of the worksheets is protected--or the workbook
    itself is shared?

  3. #3

    Re: Set Group and Outline settings...

    Thanks.

    It's possible that's the cause, but I'm not knowingly using protection
    (ahem) or sharing.

    Some more data points...

    - if I just launch Excel, it works fine (in Book1, no error & settings
    are as I expect)
    - if I close Excel & then open a workbook, I get the error as above

    Another thing, I noticed that I was mistaken about how Workbook_Open in
    personal.xls works... I thought this was invoked whenever any workbook
    was opened, but now I think it's only invoked when Excel is first
    opened (I used a msgbox to confirm this). So, I think I need to have
    my code somewhere else so that it's invoked whenever I open a new
    workbook. Not sure where that is.