Update External Links

  1. #1

    Update External Links

    I have an Excel file that is linked to 4 other excel files.

    These other excel files have VBA code to automate putting data into the cells.

    But, i have to open up the one that is linked to the other 4 each day manually to update the links.

    Is there a way to do it in code?

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    RE: Update External Links

    Go to one of the 4 files and in the VBE, create a reference to the linked
    workbook.

    then whenever file (one of the 4) is opened, the linked file will be opened
    automatically. You will not be able to close it until the file (one of the
    4) is closed.

    that may not be a solution for you, but is offered as a consideration.

    Tom Ogilvy

  3. #3

    hmmmm...

    ....yeah...if i do that, iwill need to re-code what launches the other 4 files. So, i am hopnig i can just find something into the main excel file that is linked to the other 4.

    Like, have it automatically opened and then it updates, and then closes.

    But thanks, i'll keep that on hold if nothing else comes up.

  4. #4
    geo@OZ
    Guest

    Re: Update External Links

    Have a look at these two links -

    http://www.rondebruin.nl/ado.htm

    http://www.*****-blog.com/archives/2...ing-workbooks/

    My very basic solution would be to record a macro saved in the main
    workbook, that opens obeof the four workbooks and copies/updates the
    information you need to update, closes the file and then repeats for
    the other three woekbooks.

    This could be set to run when the main workbook is opened, so that any
    time you are looking at this workbook it would have the lastest data.
    The methods above would allow you to extract the update data without
    having to open each of the four workbboks.