How do I count the instances of numbers in a list?

  1. #1
    John@NGC
    Guest

    How do I count the instances of numbers in a list?

    I have a list of numbers, most duplicates. I have a sorted list of the 152
    unique numbers in a separate column. I need a VBA routine to list the times
    each number is used beside the unique number column. Any help is appreciated.

    John

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    RE: How do I count the instances of numbers in a list?

    Assume the 152 unique number list is in column D and the original list is in
    Column A

    Sub Countem()
    Dim rng as Range
    set rng = range(cells(1,"D"),cells(1,"D").End(xlup))
    rng.offset(0,1).Formula = "=countif(A:A,D1)"
    rng.offset(0,1).formula = rng.offset(0,1).value

    Tom Ogilvy

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    I have a solution, using arrays! Give this a go....

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Toms solution may be the better option....less code and easier to understand!

  5. #5
    John@NGC
    Guest

    RE: How do I count the instances of numbers in a list?

    Thanks Tom for the info, however I have to show my ignorance. When I set the
    numbered list just as you said, I only get a count of 1 in "E1". (I am
    running the macro from "E1" if that makes a difference.) My first number is
    101 used 1 times. 103 however is used 3 times but I get nothing in "E3". My
    unique list runs from "D1" thru "D158". By the way, I should have said 158
    unique numbers in lieu of 152.
    Please advise.

  6. #6
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    RE: How do I count the instances of numbers in a list?

    Sorry, there was a typo:

    Sub Countem()
    Dim rng as Range
    set rng = range(cells(1,"D"),cells(rows.count,"D").End(xlup))
    rng.offset(0,1).Formula = "=countif(A:A,D1)"
    rng.offset(0,1).formula = rng.offset(0,1).value
    End Sub

    or you can just do
    Sub countem1()
    With Range("E1:E158")
    .Formula = "=Countif(A:A,D1)"
    .Formula = .Value
    End With
    end Sub

    Tom Ogilvy

  7. #7
    John@NGC
    Guest

    RE: How do I count the instances of numbers in a list?

    Thanks Tom, you make it look so easy! I wish I understood how it worked
    without even a loop or an offset.
    Appreciate your help.

  8. #8
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    RE: How do I count the instances of numbers in a list?

    It just uses the countif formula with proper absolute and relative cell
    referencing as if you entered it in the top cell and drag filled it down the
    column.

    Tom Ogilvy