Macros running slow on Excel 2003 but not on Excel 2002

  1. #1
    James
    Guest

    Macros running slow on Excel 2003 but not on Excel 2002

    I have a macro which hide unwanted rows (2500++ rows).

    When i run this macro on Excel 2002 everything is fine and very fast (around
    10 sec). BUT when i run it on my colleague PC (which has better spec then my
    PC) and on Excel 2003, the macro runs like a SNAIL.

    What gives?????????????? It is only running fast when I set the Calculation
    from Auto to Manual.

    I know it is easy to just add in two more lines in my macros BUT i have
    something like 100++ Excel files which has this type of macro and those files
    are not small. Their size ranges from 5MB to 30MB. Needless to say there are
    a lot of macros in each file.........

    Why is Microsoft doing this to me???? *sobs*

    Would appreciate if anybody can give me an alternative solution (i dont want
    to spend the next few days just changing macros).

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Edwin Tam
    Guest

    RE: Macros running slow on Excel 2003 but not on Excel 2002

    I don't have a direct answer to this question. But if you have a macro
    function which is contained in a lot of Excel files, you may consider making
    an Excel add-in file. You can install that add-in file, so that the function
    can be made available from the dropdown menu. When the user need to run the
    function, the same macro is executed, and when you want to update the add-in,
    you just need to change the file once.

    An Excel add-in is to have macros detached from the day-to-day Excel files.
    This will streamline the whole updating process.

    In your case, I think you may consider just give up updating the macros in
    individual Excel files, and produce a "general" macro which will work on any
    "activeworkbook". And save the macro into an add-in file. If you need help on
    making a custom dropdown menu, you may ask for help in this newsgroup. :>

    Regards,
    Edwin Tam
    [email protected]
    http://www.vonixx.com

  3. #3
    James
    Guest

    RE: Macros running slow on Excel 2003 but not on Excel 2002

    Thanks....... Uh.. but how do you do an Excel Add-in?

    And most of the macros in each files are running differently and nearly all
    the files are unique/different. e.g. some of them are hiding rows in
    different columns and in each file has something like 10-100 worksheets and
    they are performing this hiding of rows differently... i mean on different
    columns, some just need to lookup 50 rows and hide the unnecessary while
    others are looking up to 300 to 3000 rows.

    The are also copy-paste-values and then the data is resorted again to get
    the information required.

    What is Excel 2003 DOING?????? Why cant it be like 2002????

  4. #4
    Charles Williams
    Guest

    Re: Macros running slow on Excel 2003 but not on Excel 2002

    Microsoft made a change in Excel 2003 so that hiding a row triggers a
    recalculation.
    The only way around this is for your macro to set calc to manual, hide the
    rows, then reset calc to automatic.

    Charles
    ______________________
    Decision Models
    FastExcel 2.2 Beta now available
    www.DecisionModels.com

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Malaysia
    Why did they do that? What is the rational behind it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Williams

  6. #6
    Charles Williams
    Guest

    Re: Macros running slow on Excel 2003 but not on Excel 2002

    They added function to the SUBTOTAL() function so that you can exclude
    hidden rows from the subtotal.
    To make sure that this option in SUBTOTAL always returns the correct answer
    they made Excel recalculate whenever a row is hidden, regardless of whether
    the SUBTOTAL function is being used.

    Unfortunately this also has the effect of significantly slowing down hiding
    rows in Automatic Calculation mode.

    Charles
    Decision Models
    FastExcel 2.2 Beta now available
    www.DecisionModels.com

    "Infinity" <[email protected]> wrote in

  7. #7
    Malaysia
    Thanks Charles Williams.

    That clears all the question mark that i have.