Halt or Pause a Macro

  1. #1
    Tomkat743
    Guest

    Halt or Pause a Macro

    I need to stop and allow the user to look over and make any necessary changes
    to a workbook before my macro opens all the other workbooks and updates their
    values. Is there a Pause or Halt process in VBA with Excel 2003

  2. #2
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Halt or Pause a Macro

    You are not really looking to halt or pause a running macro, so much as you
    want to end a macro and allow the user to do whetever stuff they need to do
    before you proceed to the next macro. Not knowing your circumstances it is
    hard to say just how you want to trigger the next macro. I usually just use a
    button (which I may keep disabled until the user has performed some sort of a
    required action which will enable the button).
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  3. #3
    Tomkat743
    Guest

    RE: Halt or Pause a Macro

    How does the button work? I can't just prompt the user if they need to make
    changes they usually know in advance if changes are going to need to be made.
    Could the button end the Macro and than step back into the Macro at the same
    place or do I just make a toolbar button and assign a macro to it? I already
    have the choice of two different macros depending on which type of sheet they
    are updating from now it would turn into four and I would have to do this for
    each day of the week adding another 14 macros which I already am having
    difficulty with because I don't know how to do a relative file location code
    to follow the file the macro resides in (see my post "Change a Macro commands
    reference to file locations")

  4. #4
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Halt or Pause a Macro

    Lets take a step back. What is this macro going to do? Will the modifications
    made by the user change the flow of the macros?

    Perhaps a high level discussion of what this spreadsheet does is in order.
    What is the flow. When does the user need to get involved and for what
    reason. Maybe if we redisign the process a bit we can make this entire
    project a lot easier.
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  5. #5
    Tomkat743
    Guest

    RE: Halt or Pause a Macro

    OK! There are five steps in the process (payroll). A spreadsheet is
    generated by our customer containing all of our jobs for the day each job has
    13 columns of data including our technicians number that completed the job
    and three columns of billing codes. The originals and two columns of audited
    codes one column that subtracts and one that adds. My workbook has a master
    sheet and a tab for each of my techs which uses an offset formula to pull
    every job for that tech. The first step of the Macro imports all of the
    information from the e-mail into the Master sheet and runs a text to columns
    process to break every code into its own column and assigns a dollar value to
    it. At this point I need a break so if there are any tech number changes
    they can take place before the next step. Only tech number changes are made
    because often times we are forced to close a job under a borrowed tech number
    due to the wait time for a new tech to be processed into the customers
    system. We change them so the right person gets paid. Once the changes are
    made I need the macro to continue. It than opens only the individual tech
    files that had jobs that day by comparing to our tech column on the Master
    sheet. The tech files consist of sheets sunday thru saturday and a weekly
    totals page that compiles quantities of the codes drawn from the daily sheets
    which include an address and account number for each job and a grid that
    counts the number of codes charged for each job. This page is layed out in a
    format required by the customer and is printed and turned in with a copy of
    the techs workorders for auditing purposes. The macro opens, updates, closes
    and saves it. The third step is the weekly payroll workbook. This workbook
    has a linked copy of each weekly sheet from the individual tech file and is
    also the main workbook that updates every tech file with current line items,
    pricing and date ranges based on a week number entered on the invoice
    page.There are also three tally sheets one for weekly totals one for invoice
    totals and an Employee sheet where we add other payroll items and office
    personell, this sheet is than e-mailed to corporate for payroll processing.
    This sheet is our main source of record keeping for every project. We have
    several projects with this basic setup with many similarities and also many
    differences based on the type of billing system our customer uses. Some
    systems we use this to bill the customer with and other systems like the one
    I'm working on now use a reverse billing system where the information is
    submitted to us and we are required to parse it and submit a discrepency
    report. Which brings me to my fourth step which I have not started on. I
    have to use a weekly report imported from our customers website. I will use
    a column from that import to search the daily master sheets from the first
    step and verify that all codes were paid. The step that is missing is the
    first step which uses the same macro with a couple of small changes made so
    it imports from the original pre -audited code sheet and dumps the
    information into the tech files and prints that day for each tech that worked
    so it can be turned in with the workorders for auditing purposes. When I run
    the second macro called the final it delets all the data and replaces it with
    the audited data for final payroll. I could almost use the same Macro but the
    customer changes the column order when they do the final and I don't want to
    leave it up to my office people to reorder the columns its just easier to use
    the second macro. If I ended the macro after the first step I could use the
    last half on the pre-audited or final with no changes.- Hope this helps. I
    really need some guidance on this one.

  6. #6
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Halt or Pause a Macro

    If you are still monitoring this thread, then here is my take on things. The
    big issue is does the user need to modify the techs becuase the data includes
    a tech that does not exist in some sort of a master list. If it was me I
    would be inclined to update a mater list of Techs prior to running this macro
    of yours. When the macro is running have a piece of code that validates the
    techs from the master file against the techs in the source data. If
    everything matches then call a sub to move on to the next steps in the
    process and don't bother the user since everything is OK. If there is any
    kind of a discrepancy then have the macro exit with a message letting the
    user know that there is a problem and list the tech(s) that do not match. At
    this point all of the macro execution ceases and a button becomes visible on
    the sheet which will allow the user to re-enter the exectuion of the macro.
    Now the user has control and there is the opportunity to fix up whatever
    needs to be fixed. The button re-validates the techs aginst the master list
    and calls the sub to continue the process of the data. If this does not make
    sense then e-mail me directly and I will try to mock something up for you to
    demonstrate what I mean.
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson