VBE freezes after running macros

  1. #1

    VBE freezes after running macros

    I have been having a problem with the VBE editor freezing after I run
    various VBA macros. I'll excecute a macro with VBE either open or
    closed. After the macro ends, I enter VBE, and the editor is
    completely unresponsive. All I get is a beep if I try to click on
    anything. I can't even exit VBE. The only way to restore the VBE is
    to completely close Excel and restart it. Excel still works fine and I
    can rerun the macro. Some of the macros that have caused this problem
    are as simple as one that displays a basic user form that only has an
    unload form instruction for it's cancel event click.

    An example of the offending code is

    Module1:

    Option Explicit
    Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    Unload UserForm1
    End Sub

    UserForm1:

    Option Explicit
    Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    Unload UserForm1
    End Sub

    UserForm1 is just a window with a button on it.

    I'm using Excel 2002 running on Windows XP Professional.

    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: VBE freezes after running macros

    One of the main culprets of that is if you are editing a cell (have not
    commetted the change you are making to a cell) then you can not edit code, or
    if there is any kind of a dialog or message box requiring your attention,
    then the VBE will be unresponsive.
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  3. #3
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    RE: VBE freezes after running macros

    Sounds like you are in edit mode in Excel. Go back to excel and click
    another cell.

    Tom Ogilvy

  4. #4

    Re: VBE freezes after running macros

    Indeed, an open cell does cause the same symptom, but I have the
    problem when I am not in edit mode.

    Two additional symptoms:

    1. Excel remains functional.
    2. After visiting the unresponsive VBE, if I go back to Excel, the bar
    along the top of the Excel window is dimmed as if the Excel were not my
    active window. It remains dimmed even as I type into cells in Excel.

    I must be doing something stupid, but I can't figure out what it is!

  5. #5
    New York
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

    Re: VBE freezes after running macros

    same problem. using excel 2010. I set calculation to manual to cut down on the frequency of the problem but even with that change i'd guess that the freeze occurs about 1 in 10 times i open the VBE.

  6. #6
    Australia
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003/2007

    Re: VBE freezes after running macros

    Yep i'm getting the same issue in Excel 2010, and it is not caused by me still having a cell in edit mode....

  7. #7
    New York
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

    Re: VBE freezes after running macros

    I haven't had this problem since my post. I think it may have been related to Chrome. I make sure Chrome is not open before opening Excel. Once Excel and my spreadsheet is open, I open Chrome. Don't know why this works for me but it does.

    Quote Originally Posted by zjmmike View Post