Accessing Tooltip Data in an Excel Chart

  1. #1
    MikeM
    Guest

    Accessing Tooltip Data in an Excel Chart

    I'm plotting chronological data in Excel and want to look more closely at
    some points. I' like to put the cursor on a point (and the tooltip gives me
    the date), right-click on it, and open a macro that gives me more information
    about that date. How would I, for example, right-click on a data point and
    choose a menu item "Show date" that comes out with a message box, "The date
    is " & [date]?

  2. #2
    Vic Eldridge
    Guest

    RE: Accessing Tooltip Data in an Excel Chart

    Hi Mike,

    What you're describing is certainly doable, however it will take a fair bit
    of coding to acheive.

    To respond to clicks on a chart, you will need to use the chart's MouseDown
    event. If the chart is on it's own chart sheet, it's events are ready to go,
    and can be accessed in the same manner as normal worksheets - by
    right-clicking on the sheet's tab then selecting View Code. If your chart is
    embedded on a worksheet, it get's a little trickier. You need to set up a
    special Class Module to enable it's events. There is a VBA help topic titled
    "Using events with embedded charts" that will walk you through the process.

    Once you're able to respond to the MouseDown event, you can take that
    event's X,Y parameters, and pass them to the GetChartElement method, which
    will tell you which data point was clicked. It will be an index into the
    Points collection of one of the chart's Series. That same index can be used
    to look up the corresponding cell in the chart's source data range. A simple
    offset from this cell should give you the point's date. You would need to
    store this date in a public variable so you could access it later when you
    click your customised menu button.

    It's a help if you already know the chart's source data range (typically,
    from when you created the chart). If you don't already know the source data
    range, you have to parse it from the Series' Formula property.

    As for the menu, you could add a button to Excel's Series CommandBar as
    follows.
    (The Series CommandBar is the one you see when you right click on a chart's
    data point.)

    Dim CBC As CommandBarControl
    Set CBC = Application.CommandBars("Series").Controls.Add
    CBC.Caption = "Show Date"
    CBC.OnAction = MyShowDateMacro

    So, it's not a trivial solution, however there's nothing there that can't be
    done.

    Regards,
    Vic Eldridge

  3. #3
    MikeM
    Guest

    RE: Accessing Tooltip Data in an Excel Chart

    Thanks, Vic. It looks like this should do it, except that I'm unclear on how
    to follow the VBA instructions you referenced. As per the help instructions,
    I created a module and named it EventClassModule, and added the line "Public
    WithEvents myChartClass As Chart" to it.

    Then it states, "After the new object has been declared with events..." but
    what is the new object? I assume that I declare it in my Module1 module,
    where the rest of my code sits, but I have no clue as to how to do it. The
    book I'm using (Excel 2003 VBA Programmer's Reference) has an index entry for
    "Declare," but it's for subs and functions.

    So -- I now have a new class, myChartClass. I guess I have to create an object
    in this class, and then assign it to the chart somehow. Then I can assign
    the MouseDown event to the new command bar entry "Show Date." Am I on the
    right track?

    TIA,
    Mike

  4. #4
    Vic Eldridge
    Guest

    RE: Accessing Tooltip Data in an Excel Chart

    Hi Mike,

    I'm not sure I can explain it any better than the help file does.

    > Then it states, "After the new object has been declared with events..." but
    > what is the new object? I assume that I declare it in my Module1 module,

    No, you've already declared it by adding the line "Public WithEvents
    myChartClass As Chart" to the top of the class module. Once you've down
    that, a new object (named myChartClass) appears in the left hand side drop
    down list box. If you select that, all the chart events appear in the right
    hand side drop down list box.

    > Then I can assign the MouseDown event to the new command bar entry
    > "Show Date." Am I on the right track?

    Not really. In the chart's mousedown event, you work out the date of the
    clicked data point and store it in a public variable for later use. (This
    date will be needed later if and when you click on the custom menu button.)

    Regards,
    Vic Eldridge

  5. #5
    MikeM
    Guest

    RE: Accessing Tooltip Data in an Excel Chart

    Hi Vic,

    Got it!! Many thanks -- and I now have a better understanding of how classes
    work.

    Mike

  6. #6
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Accessing Tooltip Data in an Excel Chart

    I wrote an article about chart events which you may find useful:

    http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=221

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    MikeM
    Guest

    Re: Accessing Tooltip Data in an Excel Chart

    Thanks, Jon. I haven't had a chance to read it thoroughly, but it seems to
    answer a lot of the questions I have about chart events.

    Mike