Updating Excel data with a newer version of Excel data

  1. #1

    Updating Excel data with a newer version of Excel data

    Hi,

    Here is a problem i cannot find a solution to and hope one of you brainey people can help.

    Background:

    I work for a group of companies at group level. We have a centrailsed database that we provide prospect databases to our group companies at their request. We do this through the use of a SQL view that gives us in excel a quick glance at our prospects.

    Problem:

    After we give our group companies their prospect database after 3 months it is agreed that we will supply these companies with a refreshed database. This is due to the fact that we are constantly researching the data and companies(prospects) move or change their company profile or contacts leave etc etc.

    At the moment the only way we have of updating these prospect databases is a very long and boring procedure. We have a centrailsed database of approx 50,000 and we can supply at any given time to our group companies 7,000.
    The way we update these records is to place the old database that has been returned from the group company into our up to date centrailsed database. We colour fill the old prospects and sort of one column. This column is the UNIQUE KEY that both records will have in common.

    We then have the boring task of manually sifting through the excel spreadsheet and looking for changes and highlighting them.
    Which you will agree will take a very long time.

    Is there anyway excel could do this quicker for us. We have recently heard of something in Excel called Track changes but i am not sure how this works.

    Could someone please offer some help. Thanks.

  2. #2
    FSt1
    Guest

    RE: Updating Excel data with a newer version of Excel data

    hi,
    see this site. it may be what your are looking for
    http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36218

    regards
    FSt1