Adapting an array formula

  1. #1
    sixwest
    Guest

    Adapting an array formula

    Im having trouble manipulating this formula and hope theres an answer out
    there:

    What I'm trying to do is to have a link between sheets but with
    different data being propagated. Such as:

    Sheet "A" (which Ive called Schedule) is the sheet with employee names
    listed. Let's say
    Employee "1" is listed in cell A8 and I input 9:30 AM in cell C8 (i.e.,
    Employee "1" scheduled for 9:30).

    Sheet "B" (called Printout) is a list of the schedule times. If 9:30AM is
    displayed in cell A4 on Printout, is there a way to automatically propagate
    "Employee 1" (from Schedule A8) into B4 when "9:30 AM" is input to C8 (in
    Schedule)?

    Ive been lucky to get an initial response (thanks Toppers) that works on
    a test sheet but Im unable to manipulate it to work with what I have:

    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(A1,Sheet1!B:B,0)),"",INDEX(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$1000,MATCH(A1,Sheet1!B:B,0)))

    Ive been changing it to:

    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(A8,Schedule!C:B,0)),"",INDEX(Schedule$A$8:$A$1000,MATCH(A8,Schedule!C:B,0)))

    THANKS!

    --
    6-West

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Adapting an array formula

    In B4 of Printout

    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(A4,Schedule!C:C,0)),"",INDEX(Schedule!$A:$A,MATCH(A4,Schedule
    !C:C,0)))

    which is an array formula, it should be committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, not
    just Enter.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Adapting an array formula

    Sorry, not an array formula, standard.

  4. #4
    sixwest
    Guest

    Re: Adapting an array formula

    Thanks, that seemed to work. The only other question I have is regarding
    quarter hours:

    I successfully copied the formula to the rest of the time slots on Sheet 2
    ("Printout") except that it doesn't seem to work with quarter hours (such as
    "7:15","7:45") in that it doesn't "pull" those times over.

    Is this a limitation of the formula?

    Thanks again
    --
    6-West

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Adapting an array formula

    Certainly isn't.a limitation of the formula, but may be an FP arithmetic
    thing in Excel. Did you populate the cells with drag-and-copy? If so, go to
    the schedule sheet, and over type the 7:15 cell with 7:15 and see if the
    formula works okay then.

  6. #6
    sixwest
    Guest

    Re: Adapting an array formula

    Actually I set them up as a list on another sheet (Validate/Data, List). For
    example, on the Schedule sheet there is a "7" column. Each cell in that
    column has a list installed: 7:00, 7:15. 7:30, 7:45, where the user selects a
    time choice. This is repeated for "8", "9", etc...

    Could that be causing the problem?

    Thanks again for your help.
    --
    6-West

  7. #7
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: Adapting an array formula

    Excel time values are decimal fractions of a day. With 24 hours in a day (a
    multiple of 3), relatively few "round" times will be terminating binary
    fractions. This makes it quite easy to produce discrepancies if either
    1. at least one of the times is calculated (either by a formula or dragging
    a fill handle)
    2. one or both times have associated dates that are not the same (since a
    date/time value is the time fraction plus the integer number of days since
    1900).

    Probably the easiest way to begin sorting out which of these is happening to
    you is if you use the D2D function at
    http://groups.google.com/group/micro...06871cf92f8465
    to determine exactly what is contained in a pair of cells that you think
    should match but Excel doesn't.

    Jerry