Error on Import

  1. #1
    Ken Hudson
    Guest

    Error on Import

    I have a macro that I use to import a large text file into multiple
    worksheets in Excel.
    To get these imported I have the following code:

    Set oConn = New ADODB.Connection
    Set rsInput = New ADODB.Recordset

    oConn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
    "Data Source=" & strPath & ";" & _

    "Extended Properties=""text;HDR=NO;FMT=FixedLength"""

    rsInput.Open "SELECT * FROM " & FileOpenNameF827, oConn, adOpenStatic,
    adLockOptimistic, adCmdText

    If rsInput.RecordCount > 0 Then
    Counter = 1
    ActiveSheet.Name = "F827"

    rsInput.MoveFirst
    While Not rsInput.EOF
    ActiveSheet.Cells(1, 1).CopyFromRecordset rsInput, 65000
    If Not rsInput.EOF Then
    Counter = Counter + 1
    Sheets.Add
    ActiveSheet.Name = "F827(" & Counter & ")"
    End If
    Wend
    End If
    rsInput.Close

    I also have the following in a schema.ini file:

    [F827.txt]
    Format=FixedLength
    ColNameHeader=False

    Col1=GLAcctNo Text Width 5
    Col2=GLName Text Width 9
    Col3=Lim Text Width 3
    Col4=**** Text Width 5
    Col5=AO Text Width 5
    Col6=TC Text Width 3
    Col7=TT Text Width 3
    Col8=DocID Text Width 12
    Col9=DocLin Text Width 4
    Col10=BatchNo Text Width 7
    Col11=TransDate Text Width 9
    Col12=AccDate Text Width 9
    Col13=RefTC Text Width 3
    Col14=RefNo Text Width 12
    Col15=RefLn Text Width 4
    Col16=DrAmt Double Width 20
    Col17=CrAmt Double Width 20

    The import works on my machine. I have sent the macro and ini file to about
    20 other users. For a few of them, instead of importing and parsing the text
    file into 17 cloumns, the data is being parsed into only two columns; column
    A includes all the data that is supposed to parsed into columns 1-16 and
    column B has the data that is supposed to be column 17.

    The users have the same Excel version as me.

    Any clues as to what might be happening?

    --
    Ken Hudson

  2. #2
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Error on Import

    Hard to say when it only happens on some machines and not others, but i would
    suspect (WAG) that it is not finding your schema file on the affected
    machines...
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  3. #3
    Ken Hudson
    Guest

    RE: Error on Import

    Jim,
    Thanks for the reply.
    In the past my users have always received an error message to the effect
    that the "specs were not found" when they don't have the ini file in the same
    folder as the text file. In this case the macro runs, but the output is trash
    because of the bad parsing.
    I'll keep looking and let you now when/if I find the glitch.

    --
    Ken Hudson

  4. #4
    Ken Hudson
    Guest

    RE: Error on Import

    Well, I think we have the solution, but I don't know what the probelm was. We
    download the text file from a corporate web site. After downloading it, the
    user with the problem opened the text file in notepad and did a Save As
    without changing anything. The macro worked. Go figure.
    --
    Ken Hudson