Count remaining rows after autofilter has been applied

  1. #1

    Count remaining rows after autofilter has been applied

    Hi,

    I need to be able to count the number of cells that I highlight with the cursor in a column.

    For Example: I have a spreadsheet with 1000 records.

    I will need to run autofilter to retrict my rows.

    Then I need to be able to count the number of rows that are remaining after the autofilter has been applied.

    If I could highlight the remaining rows with the curser and then run a macro to count the number of rows that I have highlighted?? Any thoughts?

    This is urgent so any help would be great!

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    RE: Count remaining rows after autofilter has been applied

    Dim rng as Range
    set rng = ActiveSheet.Autofilter.Range.Columns(1).specialCells(xlVisible)

    msgbox rng.Count - 1 & " data rows are visible"

    Tom Ogilvy

  3. #3

    RE: Count remaining rows after autofilter has been applied

    Thanks for your help,

    I'm getting a compile error when I run the code?

    Sub count_rows()

    Dim rng As Range

    set rng = sheet1.Autofilter.Range.Columns(1).specialCel ls(xlVisible)

    MsgBox rng.Count - 1 & " data rows are visible"

    End Sub

    Any idea what changes I need to make?

    Thanks again!

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Count remaining rows after autofilter has been applied

    Looks like you misspelled "specialcells"

    There is no space between the "L's" in "cells"

    I copied the code from my original post, put it in a module (with a sub) and
    ran it on a sheet with an autofilter applied and it ran like a champ.

    That said, sometimes when you copy stuff from Google, it inserts stray
    characters - so maybe you were a victim of that.

    Tom Ogilvy

    "walshy06" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Thanks for your help, That works perfectly!!

  6. #6
    GDCross
    Guest

    RE: Count remaining rows after autofilter has been applied

    Tom, I am trying to run this code in Excel 2k and I get a run-time error 91
    "Object variable or With block variable not set". With so little code, why is
    this not working? Thanks in advance for your assistance. GDCROSS

  7. #7

    Re: Count remaining rows after autofilter has been applied

    You haven't applied data|filter|autofilter to your worksheet -- look for those
    dropdown arrows and you'll see that they aren't there.