Embedded hyperlinks not copying right.

  1. #1
    Ken D'Ambrosio
    Guest

    Embedded hyperlinks not copying right.

    There's a spreadsheet that several of our users use; it's got
    (non-http) hyperlinks to other Excel spreadsheets.

    1) When I mouseover, it shows a path, such as
    "\\server\path\to\file.xls"; if I edit the hyperlink, however, it only
    shows me "..\..\path\to\file.xls".
    How does it figure out the mouseover path? Where is it stored?

    2) All our users frequently cut-and-paste these hyperlinks. One user,
    however, instead of getting hyperlinks that work and look exactly the
    same as the source hyperlinks, instead gets ones that a) don't show
    anything on mouseover, and b) now have "..\..\..\..\path\to\file.xls"
    [note the two extra "..\..\"], which doesn't work when clicked on.

    #2 is my true concern -- the user has to hand-edit all the hyperlinks
    (apparently search-and-replace doesn't work on hyperlink data) to make
    them work properly, though I imagine #1 is related somehow. Anyone
    know how this all works?

    I've tried every kind of paste imaginable with the non-functional user,
    and no dice. The functional users simply cut-and-paste as you would
    anything, and it works fine. Yeah, I'm stumped. ;-)

    Thanks much,

    -Ken

  2. #2

    Re: Embedded hyperlinks not copying right.

    Some people have written that changing the hyperlink base
    (File|properties|Summary tab)

    to something like
    C:\
    (that's always available)
    will make the hyperlinks not change.

    ps. I like to use the =hyperlink() worksheet function. I've never had any
    trouble with them.