Pulling specific information from a sheet

  1. #1

    Pulling specific information from a sheet

    I have a worksheet that we are using as a scheduling board. A list of
    our resident rooms is in the first column (1-49). Next to that is a
    section for our 3 therapy disciplines (PT,OT,SLP). Each of these 3
    sections has a column for employee initials, a column for time and a
    column that is either left blank or has a 't'. The list basically
    indicates for each room what time a particular therapist is scheduled
    to see that resident. The 't' indicates that the staff needs to have
    that resident ready to be transported to our gym.

    I would like to create another sheet for our transport staff that would
    only show a list of Time/Room#/Staff Initials for residents that have
    ben identified for transport. Right now we are just typing out a
    seperate list of everyone that has a 't' and then sorting by time..
    but I am pretty sure excel is able to look at a column (or 3 in this
    case) and for every cell that it specifically finds a 't' add the
    adjacent information to a seperate sheet and sort it by time.

    I just am at a loss of how to do this.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Matt

  2. #2
    Mark Dullingham
    Guest

    RE: Pulling specific information from a sheet

    If the Column containing 't' for transport only appears once, you could use
    an array and VLOOKUP function (see help files fo how to set up an array and
    use VLOOKUP).
    But if I am reading you post correctly and 't' appears once for each type of
    therapy, VLOOKUP won't work. If this is the case then try the following-
    I have assummed that
    Column A is the room number
    Columns B, C and D are Time, initials and Transport for the first therapy
    discipline
    Columns E, F and G are as above but for the second discipline and so on

    In your ne shet(say sheet2) in A1 enter the followinf formula
    =IF(ISTEXT(Sheet1!$D3),Sheet1!B3,"")
    Then click and hold the handle and pull across the next 2 cell so A1 to A3
    are filled.
    Tthen high light those 3 cells and again clickon hold the handle and pull
    down to row 49. This will coppy the cell content from sheet 1 to sheet 2 only
    if the D column contains text in this case a 't'.
    Repeat for the row 1 columns E, substituting the D for a G and B for an E
    and then for Column H substituting D for J and B for H. High light these 6
    cells and drag the handle down to row 49.
    Hope this helps, there is prbably a quicker way and someone will probably
    post it after reading my resonse!!

  3. #3

    Re: Pulling specific information from a sheet

    That worked great for me Mark. Much appreciated