how can a create a print command button in excel

  1. #1
    velcrowe11
    Guest

    how can a create a print command button in excel

    I would like to create a command button in excel on the worksheet to print a
    portion of the worksheet and/or graphs at the bottom of the worksheet. Can
    this be done in Excel and how much VBA programming is involved?

  2. #2

    Re: how can a create a print command button in excel

    Yes it can be done, and you can record the macro - then use the forms
    toolbar (for preference on this one) to get a button onto the worksheet
    and then assign your macro to it.

  3. #3
    velcrowe11
    Guest

    Re: how can a create a print command button in excel

    Thank you. I have data on the top half of my worksheet and graphs on the
    bottom. I would like to have the user click a button and have the option to
    print just the data on the top of the worksheet or the graphs at the bottom
    of the worksheet. Am I making this to difficult on myself.

  4. #4

    Re: how can a create a print command button in excel

    No not at all - you can still record the two halves of the macro, but
    you will then need to put them together

    ending up with something like

    sub printme
    n=msgbox("Print data(yes/no)",vbyesno)
    if n=vbno then
    'do the print bottom of the area macro
    else
    'do the print top of the area macro
    end if

  5. #5
    velcrowe11
    Guest

    Re: how can a create a print command button in excel

    I have really recorded any macros in excel. This definitely is my problem.
    It asks me to record the macro but I do not know how to get a simple print
    command into the macro. If I knew how to do this then I believe I'd be able
    to figure out the top and bottom printing. Can you help me with creating a
    print page/worksheet macro

  6. #6

    Re: how can a create a print command button in excel

    Tools, macro, record new macro

    Now carry out the actions you want to carry out (set print area, print
    workbook)

    then stop the recorder

    You will end up with a macro SOMETHING like this

    ActiveSheet.PageSetup.PrintArea = "$A$404:$D$413"
    ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.PrintOut Copies:=1, Collate:=True

  7. #7
    Forum Contributor

    Print macro button

    Sub Button4_Click()
    'Print Forms
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    If ActiveSheet.Name = "Sheet1" Then_
    Rows("x:y").Hidden = True 'x & y are a range of row numbers to hide. ie They will not appear in the printout.
    Else
    End If
    Sheet1.PageSetup.PrintArea = "a:b" 'Sets the Print area. a = top left most cell, b = bottom right most cell
    ActiveSheet.PrintOut 'Prints the Print area
    Sheet1.PageSetup.PrintArea = "" 'Clears the Print area
    Else
    End If
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    End Sub

    Does this help at all.

    You should be able to adapt the above to print the top half or bottom half of your spreadsheet.

  8. #8
    velcrowe11
    Guest

    Re: how can a create a print command button in excel

    I am sorry I have not recorded any macros in Excel (type error). Am I to
    highlight the area to be printed and save it as a macro? How does the macro
    creation work?

  9. #9
    Forum Contributor

    Print Macro button.

    1) Right click on the unused part of your toolbar at the top of your spreadsheet
    and select Forms.
    2 ) You will now see a Forms toolbar.
    3) Click on the Button icon. (rectangular grey box).
    4) Your mouse cursor on your spreadsheet will now turn to a cross.
    5) Hold your mouse button down and drag it to form the button to the size you want & then release.
    6) When you release an 'Assign Macro' window will be displayed.
    7) Click on 'New'.
    This will take you to the Properties window where you will see two commands already there.
    They will be a Sub Button header which will be the name it has called the macro button you have just generated, and an End Sub command.
    Your print macro needs to be imbedded between these two commands.
    If you leave off the 1st and last line of the program I sent you and paste the rest between your two commands.
    Your program should now begin with a Sub Button () looking command and end with an End Sub.

    What you need to do now is tailor my program to hide the cell range that you dont want to print, and enter the cell range that you do want to print.