Help with Count, CountIf, Sum Functions

  1. #1
    Kris
    Guest

    Help with Count, CountIf, Sum Functions

    I am having the worst time trying to wrap my head around this function.
    I just can't seem to visualize how to do this. I have a spreadsheet
    with the following:

    A B C D
    1 6 9
    2 6 8 8
    3 7 3
    4 3 5 8

    I need to know how many are in A but don't have anything in B. How many
    are in C but don't have anything in A or D. Things of this nature but I
    just can't seem to find a way of doing it. I am currently using the
    functions in this order SUM, COUNTIF, IF but it is returning incorrect
    results. Can anyone out there with a better math mind help me to figure
    this out.

    Thanks so much

    Kris

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    RE: Help with Count, CountIf, Sum Functions

    =sumproduct(--(A1:A10=""),--(C1:C10=""),B1:B10)

    as an example.

    Tom Ogilvy

  3. #3
    Ivan Raiminius
    Guest

    Re: Help with Count, CountIf, Sum Functions

    Hi Kris,

    I need to know how many are in A but don't have anything in B:
    =SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(A1:A4),--ISBLANK(B1:B4))

    How many are in C but don't have anything in A or D:
    =SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(C1:C4),--ISBLANK(A1:A4),--ISBLANK(D1:D4))

    Regards,
    Ivan

  4. #4
    Kris
    Guest

    Re: Help with Count, CountIf, Sum Functions

    This is great guys thanks for the help. I have been having trouble
    modifying this to work in all my situations though, and I think I have
    figured out why. I have Text in my main column and dates in the other
    two and I don't think SUMPRODUCT is going to let me count it like that.
    Perhaps I am wrong. Can you all help again?

    Thank you

  5. #5
    Steve
    Guest

    Re: Help with Count, CountIf, Sum Functions

    I thought I pretty much knew everything about the standard functions in
    Excel, but this thread has something I've never encountered. What does
    "--" before the function do?