Opening MS Applications

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    Question Opening MS Applications

    Hi all,

    Is it possible to launch MS Office Outlook from Excel via a Macro?

    TIA

  2. #2
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: Opening MS Applications

    Sub test()
    Dim oOutlookApp As Outlook.Application
    Set oOutlookApp = New Outlook.Application
    oOutlookApp.Quit

    AP

    [email protected]...

  3. #3
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Opening MS Applications

    If you only need to launch the application, look into Shell.
    If you need to interact with it afterwards, use Automation.

    Set a reference to Outlook in Tools>References, then
    Dim MyOutlook As Outlook.Application
    Set MyOutlook=New Outlook.Application
    With MyOutlook
    .....Do something

    Make sure you close/quit all objects and set all variable to nothing when
    finished.

    This will get you started: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=220595

    NickHK

    "gti_jobert" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Opening MS Applications

    This is an example that sends an email

    Dim oOutlook As Object
    Dim oMailItem As Object
    Dim oRecipient As Object
    Dim oNameSpace As Object

    Set oOutlook = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
    Set oNameSpace = oOutlook.GetNameSpace("MAPI")
    oNameSpace.Logon , , True

    Set oMailItem = oOutlook.CreateItem(0)
    Set oRecipient = _
    oMailItem.Recipients.Add("[email protected]")
    oRecipient.Type = 1 '1 = To, use 2 for cc
    'keep repeating these lines with
    'your names, adding to the collection.
    With oMailItem
    .Subject = "The extract has finished."
    .Body = "This is an automatic email notification"
    ' .Attachments.Add ("filename") 'you only need this if
    'you are sending attachments?
    .Display 'use .Send when all testing done
    End With

    Set oRecipient = False
    Set oMailItem = False
    Set oNameSpace = False
    Set oOutlook = False

    Bob Phillips

    (replace xxxx in email address with googlemail if mailing direct)

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Opening MS Applications

    All the Set object = False at the end should be Set object = Nothing

    Bob Phillips

    (replace xxxx in email address with googlemail if mailing direct)

    news:OZ%235lH%[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    Hi all, thanks for the advice!

    I have the following code;

    The probolem is that the do and for loops will NOT be executed as Outlook doesn;t seem to be opened! If I open Outlook first then run this Function then it works a treat! Any ideas bob....or anyone else? TIA

  7. #7
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: Opening MS Applications

    Why do you set to Nothing local variables that will be automatically
    destroyed by the End Sub ?

    Cheers,
    --
    AP

    uyMZ3T%[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Opening MS Applications

    Ardus,

    This could go on for ever <g>.

    Personally, I don't see the point myself (see thread
    http://tinyurl.com/okdup for a previous view from me). But I have been
    pulled up so many times by others (see http://tinyurl.com/qae6u and
    follow-up posts for a particularly asinine thread), that I just add it as a
    de-facto now. It doesn't hurt, and doesn't take much time.

    Regards

    Bob

    PS Where about in France are you loacted? Somewhere nice I hope.

    news:uh4HBY%[email protected]...

  9. #9
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Opening MS Applications

    You could try making Outlook visible

    olFolder.Display

    after setting that variable

    Bob Phillips

    (replace somewhere in email address with googlemail if mailing direct)

    "gti_jobert" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

    > Hi all, thanks for the advice!
    >
    > I have the following code;
    >
    > The probolem is that the do and for loops will NOT be executed as
    > Outlook doesn;t seem to be opened! If I open Outlook first then run
    > this Function then it works a treat! Any ideas bob....or anyone else?
    > TIA
    >

    > Code:
    > --------------------
    >
    > Sub SendAnEmailWithOutlook(CurrFile)
    >
    > Dim olApp As Outlook.Application
    > Dim olMail As MailItem
    > Dim mailSent As Boolean, countMsg%
    > Dim olNamespace As Outlook.Namespace
    > Dim olFolder As Outlook.MAPIFolder
    > Dim lngRow As Long
    > Dim intAtt As Integer
    > Dim wbkTemp As Workbook
    > Dim strTempFile As String
    >
    > Set olApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
    > Set olMail = olApp.CreateItem(olMailItem)
    > Set olNamespace = olApp.GetNamespace("MAPI")
    > Set olFolder = olNamespace.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderSentMail)
    >
    > countMsg = olFolder.Items.count
    >
    > With olMail
    > .To = "[email protected]"
    > '.CC = "[email protected]"
    > .Subject = "Textron Schedule Agreements: " & Right(CurrFile, 13)
    > .Attachments.Add CurrFile & ".xls"
    > .Display
    > .OriginatorDeliveryReportRequested = True
    > .ReadReceiptRequested = True
    > End With
    >
    > Do
    > Loop Until olFolder.Items.count = (countMsg + 1)
    >
    > 'go thru all mail in Sent Items
    > For Each olMail In olFolder.Items
    > ' only check those with attachments
    > For intAtt = 1 To olMail.Attachments.count
    > ' only those with xls files
    > If InStr(1, olMail.Attachments(intAtt).FileName, ".xls", vbTextCompare)
    > 0 Then
    > ' get folder and filename for xls file
    > strTempFile = ThisWorkbook.Path & Application.PathSeparator &

    olMail.Attachments(intAtt).FileName
    > ' save it so we can open and read it
    > olMail.Attachments(intAtt).SaveAsFile strTempFile
    > Set wbkTemp = Workbooks.Open(strTempFile)
    > If Right(CurrFile, 13) & ".xls" = olMail.Attachments(intAtt).FileName

    Then

  10. #10
    Forum Contributor colofnature's Avatar
    -
    MS-Off Ver
    -
    Re: Ardus' question "Why do you set to Nothing local variables that will be automatically destroyed by the End Sub ?" - I've noticed object models which I've used have some pretty serious memory leaks when I don't explicitly destroy objects. As Bob says, it doesn't hurt, but it's good practice and it can be positively beneficial.

    My two cents worth...
    Col

  11. #11
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Opening MS Applications

    Set olApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
    Should open Outlook.

    Tom Ogilvy

  12. #12
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: Opening MS Applications

    In his book "Advanced VB6", Matt Curland, one of the programmers
    of VB (he wrote, among other things, the Intellisense popup
    feature) writes that it is absolutely unnecessary to set a local
    variable to Nothing. VB will automatically destroy and clean up
    whatever is necessary.

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

    news:uhj9g3%[email protected]...

  13. #13
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Opening MS Applications

    Which is exactly the crux of the thread I posted Chip.

    Bob

    news:[email protected]...

  14. #14
    Forum Contributor
    Taa for your reply bob,

    the function now works by setting olFolders.Display!!

  15. #15
    Jim Cone
    Guest

    Re: Opening MS Applications

    And more...
    http://blogs.msdn.com/ericlippert/ar...28/122259.aspx
    --
    Jim Cone
    San Francisco, USA

  16. #16
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: Opening MS Applications

    I didn't bother to read the thread. I just posted in order to add
    more credibility (Curland's, not mine) to the argument that you
    don't need to Set = Nothing.

  17. #17
    Bob Phillips
    Guest