[SOLVED] Conditional formatting - on an empty cell condition in _another_ cell?

  1. #1
    StargateFan
    Guest

    [SOLVED] Conditional formatting - on an empty cell condition in _another_ cell?

    I've looked and looked in the archives but I'm not able to find
    something this simple and I can't get anything that I've tried to
    work.

    When a cell in B1 is not empty, i.e., filled, I need the cell in A1 to
    change. I know what to do with the formatting, I just can't get
    anything to work with the formula in B1. I never realized that up
    till now the formatting has been conditional on the cell I'm actually
    in. This time, condition is dependent on an outside cell, and that
    seems to be what is stumping me.

    Can someone provide an example, ple? TIA. :oD

  2. #2
    Matt Lunn
    Guest

    RE: Conditional formatting - on an empty cell condition in _another_ c

    "StargateFan" wrote:

    > I've looked and looked in the archives but I'm not able to find
    > something this simple and I can't get anything that I've tried to
    > work.
    >
    > When a cell in B1 is not empty, i.e., filled, I need the cell in A1 to
    > change. I know what to do with the formatting, I just can't get
    > anything to work with the formula in B1. I never realized that up
    > till now the formatting has been conditional on the cell I'm actually
    > in. This time, condition is dependent on an outside cell, and that
    > seems to be what is stumping me.
    >
    > Can someone provide an example, ple? TIA. :oD

    Try this

    Select Cell A1. Go to Format > Conditional Formatting.

    Select Formula Is from the drop down box and enter

    =ISBLANK(B1)

    in the textbox

    Careful though. Both of these will return FALSE, and the formatting will not
    be applied if you have just a space in the cell. The cell will look empty but
    will not be!

    HTH

  3. #3
    StargateFan
    Guest

    Re: Conditional formatting - on an empty cell condition in _another_ c

    On Mon, 29 May 2006 11:08:01 -0700, Matt Lunn
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"StargateFan" wrote:
    >
    >> I've looked and looked in the archives but I'm not able to find
    >> something this simple and I can't get anything that I've tried to
    >> work.
    >>
    >> When a cell in B1 is not empty, i.e., filled, I need the cell in A1 to
    >> change. I know what to do with the formatting, I just can't get
    >> anything to work with the formula in B1. I never realized that up
    >> till now the formatting has been conditional on the cell I'm actually
    >> in. This time, condition is dependent on an outside cell, and that
    >> seems to be what is stumping me.
    >>
    >> Can someone provide an example, ple? TIA. :oD
    >>

    >Try this
    >
    >Select Cell A1. Go to Format > Conditional Formatting.
    >
    >Select Formula Is from the drop down box and enter
    >
    >=ISBLANK(B1)
    >
    >in the textbox
    >
    >Careful though. Both of these will return FALSE, and the formatting will not
    >be applied if you have just a space in the cell. The cell will look empty but
    >will not be!
    >
    >HTH

    Yes, it is a great help! Almost there. I just couldn't figure out
    how to do this. Re the issue with being careful of _anything_ in the
    cell, no problem as I have a pulldown with text in so user input is
    somewhat controlled.

    However, the condition is backwards; sorry I wasn't clear enough <g>.
    The condition should apply when the cell is filled, not blank so that
    the above works only if B1 has _no_ value. Is there any way to do the
    opposite of this once a user has chosen a value from the pulldown? Is
    there code for that? I imagine that's why I couldn't find anything in
    the archives as I didn't know the terminololgy for "isblank" or its
    opposite.

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: Conditional formatting - on an empty cell condition in _another_ c

    =NOT(ISBLANK(B1))

    AP

    message de news: [email protected]...

  5. #5
    StargateFan
    Guest

    Re: Conditional formatting - on an empty cell condition in _another_ c

    On Mon, 29 May 2006 15:36:37 -0400, StargateFan
    <IDon'tAcceptSpam@IDon'tAcceptSpam.com> wrote:

    >On Mon, 29 May 2006 11:08:01 -0700, Matt Lunn
    ><[email protected]> wrote:

    [SNIP]

    >>> When a cell in B1 is not empty, i.e., filled, I need the cell in A1 to
    >>> change. I know what to do with the formatting, I just can't get
    >>> anything to work with the formula in B1. I never realized that up
    >>> till now the formatting has been conditional on the cell I'm actually
    >>> in. This time, condition is dependent on an outside cell, and that
    >>> seems to be what is stumping me.
    >>>
    >>> Can someone provide an example, ple? TIA. :oD
    >>>

    >>Try this
    >>
    >>Select Cell A1. Go to Format > Conditional Formatting.
    >>
    >>Select Formula Is from the drop down box and enter
    >>
    >>=ISBLANK(B1)

    [SNIP]

    >However, the condition is backwards; sorry I wasn't clear enough <g>.
    >The condition should apply when the cell is filled, not blank so that
    >the above works only if B1 has _no_ value. Is there any way to do the
    >opposite of this once a user has chosen a value from the pulldown? Is
    >there code for that? I imagine that's why I couldn't find anything in
    >the archives as I didn't know the terminololgy for "isblank" or its
    >opposite.

    Actually, I went looking and found something called ISTEXT in the help
    files (now that I had an idea of terminology and what I might be able
    to look for). I tried this in the conditional formatting for A1:

    =ISTEXT(B1)

    It seems to work. Is this okay to use? It might not be the best, but
    column A will now darken and get a strikethrough in the text once
    column A tasks are accomplished and users put "FIXED" in column B.

    Thanks.

  6. #6
    StargateFan
    Guest

    Re: Conditional formatting - on an empty cell condition in _another_ c

    On Mon, 29 May 2006 21:42:56 +0200, "Ardus Petus"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >=NOT(ISBLANK(B1))

    Knew there had to be a better way than ISTEXT! Thanks.