I would want protect my sheets of excel from a "password recovery" software... How?

  1. #1
    -= Luca =-
    Guest

    I would want protect my sheets of excel from a "password recovery" software... How?

    I would want protect my sheets of excel from a "password recovery"
    software... How?

    I would want protect my sheets of excel,
    I do not want that mine concurrent can open the parts I have protect, with a
    "password recovery".
    How I can protect my job effectively?

    Excuse my English bad one

    --
    ^__^

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    RE: I would want protect my sheets of excel from a "password recovery"

    the only protection is with a password and this is easily broken by password
    recovery software.

    The only way is to not put the sensitive information in an excel worksheet.

    Tom Ogilvy

  3. #3
    georgesmailuk
    Guest

    RE: I would want protect my sheets of excel from a "password recovery"

    Luca - there is no way i know of protecting excel. It was never designed for
    real security. You could make it harder for people to get the infromation,
    but the only thing i can think of (i tried this a long time ago and gave up
    because i was not sure i could recover the data) is to write a macro that
    will scramble your data so that it is unreadable, and unless the correct
    password is entered, closes down. This is risky though. You could lose your
    entire workbook if someone tries to tamper with it and you don't have a
    backup.

    Even the VBA password can be bypassed with a Hex editor.

    If you are sending the workbook to someone and you only want them to view
    the pages, i would make it into a pdf file and not give them the workbook at
    all. Something free like pdf995 could do this.

    Sorry there is no better news.
    George

  4. #4
    -= Luca =-
    Guest

    Re: I would want protect my sheets of excel from a "password recovery"

    "Tom Ogilvy" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email protected]...
    > the only protection is with a password and this is easily broken by

    password
    > recovery software.
    >
    > The only way is to not put the sensitive information in an excel

    worksheet.

    > --
    > Regards,
    > Tom Ogilvy

    Thank's for your help Tom,

    ^__^
    Luca

  5. #5
    -= Luca =-

    "georgesmailuk" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel
    messaggio news:[email protected]...
    > Luca - there is no way i know of protecting excel. It was never designed

    for
    > real security. You could make it harder for people to get the

    infromation,
    > but the only thing i can think of (i tried this a long time ago and gave

    up
    > because i was not sure i could recover the data) is to write a macro that
    > will scramble your data so that it is unreadable, and unless the correct
    > password is entered, closes down. This is risky though. You could lose

    your
    > entire workbook if someone tries to tamper with it and you don't have a
    > backup.
    >
    > Even the VBA password can be bypassed with a Hex editor.
    >
    > If you are sending the workbook to someone and you only want them to view
    > the pages, i would make it into a pdf file and not give them the workbook

    at
    > all. Something free like pdf995 could do this.
    >
    > Sorry there is no better news.
    > George

    :-( Do you know if there are another WB designed for real sicurity (maybe
    openoffice or other?)
    Also i have ear that the next excel 2007 could have a better protection, do
    you know something?

    Thank's
    Luca

  6. #6
    georgesmailuk
    Guest

    Re: I would want protect my sheets of excel from a "password recov

    Sorry Luca

    Don't know anything about excel2007. I don't know of any secure workbooks,
    but if there are any they are probably designed for accounting systems and
    whoever you were emailing the workbook to may need that same software. If
    the data is very sensitive a pdf may be the only way. If it is code or
    formulas you are worried about, your best bet may be to save a copy of the
    workbook as "value only" so there will be no formulas and removing any
    code/modules. Just make sure to save a copy first before making the changes.
    Never alter an original.

    good luck
    George