If, Then, Else Coding Problem

  1. #1
    BEEJAY
    Guest

    If, Then, Else Coding Problem

    Greetings:
    Judging by problem show below, I think I better book in for another year
    of pre-school.

    Code shown below: always skips from line 2 to line 4.
    I have my codes in a file called Menu.xls. (will become an add-in, when
    completed)
    In case it was "reading" that file, I copied the code into a file called
    EM_1234.xls
    It still won't work.

    A: What am I missing in my code?
    B: Do I need something to indicate that FName is a short form for FileName?
    In order for VB to understand it?
    C: Will the code, when stored (in its entirety) as an add-in, "know" that
    it has
    to work on the currently active workbook?

    Sub CheckFileName()
    ' If File Name Starts with 'EM_', Then Process CALL Not Allowed
    ' If File Name does NOT start with 'EM_', Then Exit Sub

    1 Dim FName As String
    2 If Left(FName, 3) = "EM_" Then
    3 Call NotAllowed
    4 Else: Exit Sub
    5 End If

    End Sub

  2. #2
    ADG
    Guest

    RE: If, Then, Else Coding Problem

    You declared FName as a string, but it has no value it is empty. You need to
    assign the value to it. E.g. FName = activeworkbook.Name
    --
    Tony Green

  3. #3
    Karim Benabd
    Guest

    Re: If, Then, Else Coding Problem

    If you want to test whether the active workbook name start with EM_
    then try this:

    Sub CheckFileName()
    ' If File Name Starts with 'EM_', Then Process CALL Not Allowed
    ' If File Name does NOT start with 'EM_', Then Exit Sub

    1 Dim FName As String
    FName = ActiveWorkbook.Name
    2 If Left(FName, 3) = "EM_" Then
    3 Call NotAllowed