Use of CHOOSE? appropriate?

  1. #1
    RADIOOZ
    Guest

    Use of CHOOSE? appropriate?

    Need to shorten this to add a few more possibilities at the moment it will
    only handle "EI" and "EW" but I need it to handle 3 or four more. Was
    thinking a table of some sort based on the piece of the lookup cell I want to
    look at but have no real idea of where to start

    Hope you can follow the arguments it is very much on the edge of my own
    experience level

    =IF(ISERROR(FIND("EW",'Previous Project'!A5)),IF(ISERROR(FIND("EI",'Previous
    Project'!A5)),'Previous Project'!A5,IF(ISERROR(FIND("R",'Previous
    Project'!A5)),REPLACE('Previous Project'!A5,SEARCH("-",'Previous
    Project'!A5),1,"*-"),REPLACE('Previous Project'!A5,(SEARCH("R",'Previous
    Project'!A5))+1,SEARCH("-",'Previous Project'!A5)-SEARCH("R",'Previous
    Project'!A5),"*-")))," ")

  2. #2
    macropod
    Guest

    Re: Use of CHOOSE? appropriate?

    Hi RADIOOZ,

    Your formula indicates that the relationship between the '"EW" and "EI"
    tests is hierarchical. If so, you may have to stick with the nested IF
    tests. But be aware you're limited to 7 of those.

    If the tests aren't meant to be hierarchical, you may be able to use:
    =IF(OR(ISERROR(FIND("EW",A5),ISERROR(FIND("EI",A5))),A5, etc
    if any one of the error conditions is sufficient to trigger the 'TRUE'
    response, or
    =IF(AND(ISERROR(FIND("EW",A5),ISERROR(FIND("EI",A5))),A5, etc
    if all of the error conditions is required to trigger the 'TRUE' response.

    Cheers
    PS: Add your "'Previous Project'!" strings - I omitted them for clarity.
    Alternatively, name the source cell/range and use that instead of the
    "'Previous Project'!A5" reference altogether.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    RADIOOZ
    Guest

    Re: Use of CHOOSE? appropriate?

    Macropod
    Your assumption that the tests are not heirarchical is correct however if
    using your formula how do I get the differing processes resulting from the EW
    or EI triggered response? ie "EW" triggers a space insertion and "EI"
    triggers the further IF statement to differentiate between and EI with a
    revision status and one without.

  4. #4
    macropod
    Guest

    Re: Use of CHOOSE? appropriate?

    In that case, they are hierarchical.

    Cheers

  5. #5
    RADIOOZ
    Guest

    Re: Use of CHOOSE? appropriate?

    Sorry I didn't understand the meaning of the word in this context obviously.
    S'pose that's what I get for diving in the deep end and trying to swim before
    I have learn't to do so.

  6. #6
    RADIOOZ
    Guest

    Re: Use of CHOOSE? appropriate?

    Have kind of overcome problem by utilising another column linked to the
    results of original column, however it seems very clumsy as I now have 4
    colums linked in a line in order to check all variables