The Workbook you opened contains automatic links

  1. #1

    The Workbook you opened contains automatic links

    I've seen several postings on how to remove the message about the
    workbook containing automatic links, but what does this mean?

    How do I find where these automatic links are? I just want to remove
    the links.

    Can someone give me some history on this? What are "links"? How do I
    find them? How do I get rid of them?

    Thanks.

    Dennis Hancy
    Eaton Corporation
    Cleveland, OH

  2. #2

    Re: The Workbook you opened contains automatic links

    Links are basically references to other workbooks - various ways of
    getting rid of them, but it MAY be worth finding out why they are
    present in the first place! However, replace formulas with values, use
    the edit menu to get to the links and set the reference to the active
    workbook, use the edit menu to FIND and replace the offending links.

  3. #3

    Re: The Workbook you opened contains automatic links

    When I can't find links, I'll use Bill Manville's FindLink program:
    http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm

  4. #4

    Re: The Workbook you opened contains automatic links

    Thanks for your replies!

    I found my problem. I went to Insert/Name/Define, and found several
    names there with references to URLs. How they got there, I haven't a
    clue. But I removed them, and life is good.

    Thanks again for your help.

    Dennis