sperate from the space, in text, in the same cell

  1. #1
    Fam via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    sperate from the space, in text, in the same cell

    Hi..
    Is there a way tpo seperate or extract out first or last name from the same
    cell?
    for example, if in cell A1 we have John Smith, can I able top extract out
    just John or Smith in cell B1?
    Any help will be appreciated
    thx

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Have you tried "Text to Columns"?

    Data->Text to Columns...->Delimited

    Check off "Space"

  3. #3
    Jeff Standen
    Guest

    Re: sperate from the space, in text, in the same cell

    You could use the SEARCH worksheet function. This searches for a specific
    character in a cell and returns the position. Combine it with LEFT or MID
    (or RIGHT, if you also use LEN) to get the name you want.

    =LEFT(A1,SEARCH(" ",A1)-1)

    will give you the first name

    =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-SEARCH(" ",A1))

    will give you the surname. You will have to be a little more creative if
    there are middle names though.

    Jeff

  4. #4
    Fam via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: sperate from the space, in text, in the same cell

    thanks Jeff

  5. #5
    Fam via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: sperate from the space, in text, in the same cell

    I able to extract the first name name but what if the situation is like
    John Smith, CFO
    Now I canextract the first name by
    =left(A1, find(" ",A1)-1)
    and the title by
    =trim(mid(a1,find(" ",A1),255)) but come is still coming with it and I can
    not able to resolve how to seperate the last name with the title and extract
    it out
    any help please?

  6. #6
    Jeff Standen
    Guest

    Re: sperate from the space, in text, in the same cell

    It helps to have a set of nice data but of course that isn't always what
    happens. If you know, for instance, that the surname will always be between
    the first space and the first comma, you could do this

    =MID(A1,SEARCH(" ",A1)+1,SEARCH(",",A1)-SEARCH(" ",A1)-1)

    You have to play it by ear a little - you can use the IF function to
    seperate different options depending on, say, whether there is a comma in it
    or not.

  7. #7
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: sperate from the space, in text, in the same cell

    How about John van Dyke Smith Jones Sr.

    or not to be as outlandish

    John Van Dyke, CFO

    To the OP, there is no generalized algorithm that is going to do what you
    want unless you have a specific pattern or a finite set of unique patterns
    that are distinct or the elements of the name are distringuishably
    delimited. Usually this isn't the case for names

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/FirstLast.htm

    will give some insights.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:e5%[email protected]...