Using solver while disabling auto calculation

  1. #1
    Kevin
    Guest

    Using solver while disabling auto calculation

    I am interested in using solver but I do not want solver to autocalculate
    all of my sheets. How do I set solver to just work on one area of a sheet
    without it interfering with the rest of my sheets and calculating them?

  2. #2
    SteveM
    Guest

    Re: Using solver while disabling auto calculation

    Kevin,

    Solver only works with ranges in the active sheet. Whatever
    formulation you have looks for the cell values on that sheet only and
    places the solution values on that same sheet.

    SteveM

  3. #3
    kevin
    Guest

    Re: Using solver while disabling auto calculation

    yes, but solver apparently turns on autocalculation on the side and
    calculates all of my sheets. you can test this simply by running solver on
    sheet 1 and having something that needs to be calculated manually on sheet
    2. if you run the solver on sheet1 and check sheet 2, you will notice that
    sheet2 has also been calculated as if someone pressed 'f9'.
    i am trying to stop solver from calculating stuff on sheet2, any ideas?

  4. #4
    SteveM
    Guest

    Re: Using solver while disabling auto calculation

    Kevin,

    I'm not an expert on Recalc but solver has to update the solution cells
    which is a Recalc. How about this. You create your optimization model
    in another workbook (Book2) with its data linked to the original
    (Book1). Close both workbooks. When you reopen Book2 to optimize,
    select the Don't Update links option so Book1 is not recalculated.

    SteveM