Sell Program - Screwed by Managers !!!

  1. #1
    Greg Wilson
    Guest

    Sell Program - Screwed by Managers !!!

    I have spent roughly 200 hours exclusively of my personal time writing an
    extensive lab management program for my employer. This was done out of the
    goodness of my heart and with the intense desire to end the agony of our
    dysfunctional ways. In spite of receiving tacit approval at one point and
    having the support of colleagues, management is now completely and
    deliberately ignoring it.

    Questions:
    1. To cut my losses, is there a practical way to sell the program?
    2. Are there concerns about ownership even if it was written 100% by me
    on my own time but was tailored to the company's needs, was tested at our
    office on our network and received a cursory review by one manager?
    3. Would it return a decent price – i.e. would it likely be worth the
    effort?
    4. What about piracy concerns?
    5. Additional words of wisdom much apprecitated !!!

    Greg

  2. #2
    AA2e72E
    Guest

    RE: Sell Program - Screwed by Managers !!!

    Greg, are you sure you have not simply got a solution that is looking for a
    problem to solve?

    Sounds harsh, doesn't it? Unfortunately, life can be and usually is!

    If you have you observed road works (in the UK) closely, you would not have
    failed to notice that there are usually 3/4 people watching whilst 1/2 is
    actually doing something. This communal activity goes by the name of 'team'
    work or 'project' management! You seem to have denied the bystanders their
    due by simply doing it; and now they do not want to know.

    Where does this leave you? You have an application that has your
    thinking/understanding embedded in it (unmodified by other points of view),
    it is untested (you said managers don't want to know) and you have no way of
    gauging its usability. Undoubtedly, you have neither a functional not user
    specification. I would say, you have simply got a prototype.

    To find out what you have got, one option is release the application into
    the public domain without warranty: the objective is to quantify the takeup
    rate and to assess the feedback you get in order to determine its commercial
    viability.

    Another option is to sell it as is. However, this is costly in that
    marketing costs money and you would need to provide help desk type support
    and possibly training also. You will also need to investigate and fix bugs
    and manage future releases. All of this needs to happen whilst you are at
    work. How will you manage?

    So far, you have proved that you can analyse a problem and produce a package
    solutiion; in the process, you have no doubt learnt a lot. I assume that you
    use Excel daily as part of your work.

    Unless you are of a brave disposition, I would suggest that you stop pushing
    the application in the workplace. With a bit of luck, if the need for the
    applicatioin is sufficient, the dynamics of the workplace will come looking
    for it and when (if) this happens, have a strategy that yields some personal
    dividends for you.

    Good luck.

  3. #3
    Greg Wilson
    Guest

    RE: Sell Program - Screwed by Managers !!!

    Thanks for your reply.

    Your assessment as to the sales viability was what I had expected but I was
    hoping I was wrong. It is too industry specific and even company specific.

    I am confident that I have not developed a solution that is in search of a
    problem. We are very uncompetitive and getting worse. We are, and have been
    for a long-time, loosing money. We are constantly (and unnecessarily) plagued
    with difficulty accessing information in particular and are constantly
    resolving the same problems and wallowing in the same confusion. Our
    operation is IMO obviously illogical in many ways and is sometimes
    reprehensible (e.g. using scrap paper in place of worksheets).

    If I were to agonizingly list all our inefficiencies and if we were to
    jointly spend an hour discussing strategies to resolve them in terms of a
    single programmatic package, I think we would come up with something very
    similar to what I have created. I have answered many posts of my own and know
    that programmers tend to think alike. I passionately believe that a network
    based Lab Information Management System (LIMS) is the right approach for us.
    So this development has been a crushing blow to me, and one that will likely
    put an end to many years of employment with this firm.

    I long ago learned that I had to take the bull by the horns and resolve
    practical problems and produce the innovations by myself. In a nutshell, I
    came to the conclusion that management was unable or unwilling to comprehend
    the problem and/or produce the solution to the lab information management
    issue; and so in my typical fashion, I took on the task of developing the
    requisite innovation. However, in this case I believe I have transgressed and
    must be taught a lesson. In short, I believe we have a serious management
    problem.

    I am a long-term employee but have finally decided that I will likely join
    another firm in a few months. They have their act together and don’t need the
    program. Therefore, it is likely headed for the trashcan. That’s why I posted.

    BTW, the above is hot on the heals of a similar situation where I developed
    a photo-mapping survey technique inclusive of about 100 hours of my personal
    time programming and about the same with the mechanics. Management’s input
    was to offer absolutely nothing but moronic suggestions and, with brilliant
    timing, to raise our rates so that we lost the contract. It got mothballed.
    My likely next employer is quite interested in its resurrection.

    Sorry for the long-winded diatribe but I needed to get it off my chest. Good
    luck to you too.

    Best regards,
    Greg

  4. #4
    Grumpy Aero Guy
    Guest

    Re: Sell Program - Screwed by Managers !!!

    IF you developed ANY of tyhis app on your employers dime, it's THEIR
    intellectual property.

    IF they don't care now, they will when you start making money on it....

    --
    Grumpy Aero Guy

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Sell Program - Screwed by Managers !!!

    Hi Grumpy,

    > IF you developed ANY of tyhis app on your employers dime, it's THEIR
    > intellectual property.

    I read Greg's choice of the word 'exclusively' as intentional and of
    significant: relevance:

    >>I have spent roughly 200 hours exclusively of my personal time

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    news:%[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Sell Program - Screwed by Managers !!!

    Sounds like you are venting. Feel better now?
    The program belongs to your employer unless they release it to you. or, they
    are too dumb to know you have it.

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software

  7. #7
    Greg Wilson
    Guest

    Re: Sell Program - Screwed by Managers !!!

    Thanks for your input Don. I admit I was likely venting more than anything.

    > 2. Are there concerns about ownership even if it was written 100% by me
    > on my own time but was tailored to the company's needs, was tested at our
    > office on our network and received a cursory review by one manager?

    Are you saying that they own it in spite of the fact they have made
    negligible contribution and have demonstated complete disinterest and didn't
    even request or suggest that it be created?

    If they still own it, if I sent an email to management requesting their
    opinion, which I fully expect will be disdainfully rebuffed, would that
    demonstrate abandonment by them and give me a case?

    > The program belongs to your employer unless they release it to you. or, they
    > are too dumb to know you have it.

    They are definately cognizant that I have it but I think the symbolic
    meaning as their response to my position is of more value to them (i.e. the
    idea is garbage). This motivated by the implication that I don't think
    they're competant and disagree with the current paper-based system (which is
    their creation). It was given tacit approval in the beginning and they were
    aware I was writing it, but I think they woke up once it appeared.

    Greg

  8. #8
    SteveM
    Guest

    Re: Sell Program - Screwed by Managers !!!

    I know that you have invested a lot of time and emotional energy with
    your product. But in the end - it's just business. If you really
    think the product has more generic value, you should formalize a moving
    forward strategy. That means a consult with a patent attorney to
    establish what your intellectual property rights are. If the company
    owns the rights but has no interest in the product, you'd have to
    arrange a transfer of rights to you. That could cost money. Again, it
    may not be fair - it's business.

    When you figure out where you stand on the ownership side, you may want
    to shop your product around, perhaps to companies that make/distribute
    lab related software, because you'll probably need a channel partner.
    So have them license/resell the product for you. You may also need
    some development support to truly commercialize your product, i.e.,
    generalize the product for other customers. The internet or your
    attorney could point you to some funding sources.

    In the end, if your product is truely a one-off product that is highly
    tailored to your company then walk away and don't look back.

    Good Luck,

    SteveM

  9. #9
    Peter T
    Guest

    Re: Sell Program - Screwed by Managers !!!

    Hi Greg,

    In order of your questions -

    1. All you need for starters is a simple site with a facility to download
    your file and some method of receiving payment, eg Paypal. How much
    additional effort you put in to the site and to attract interest would be up
    to you.

    2. As I understand there can be issues of ownership if the IP in some way
    relates to your primary job even if developed in your own time. Problem
    arises because some aspects may relate to knowledge learnt at work. It's
    grey area of newly evolving law in UK/Europe (not sure about elsewhere).
    Some universities in the UK now have pre-determined systems in place of
    sharing IP ownership between author (employee) and employer regardless as to
    where or in whose time the IP was developed.

    I've no idea about your circumstances, if in doubt perhaps try and get a
    disclaimer of title from your employer. If they refuse demand overtime for
    your 200hrs! My guess is there won't be an issue.

    3 Would it return a decent price - You are probably the best judge of that,
    also relates to 1. above.

    4 Piracy concerns:
    As I'm sure you know vba security is minimal. To my mind piracy only
    represents a loss if it means you lose a sale you would otherwise have made,
    or someone uses your code to make a similar product and sells that, which
    amounts to the same thing. With different types of product devaluation of
    brand image is a concern but I doubt relevant here.

    Perhaps put it in a VB6 dll with xla wrapper or a Com dll. If you've never
    done that before will take a while.

    5 Without knowing more about your app & market not sure what else to add.
    But as already suggested in your first response try and get as many to beta
    test (why not ask for volunteers here). Initially I think best to know true
    identity and after obtaining a simple NDA. Later perhaps announce the first
    release as beta on your site, free to those willing to give feedback.

    Good luck,
    Peter T

  10. #10
    Greg Wilson
    Guest

    Re: Sell Program - Screwed by Managers !!!

    Thanks to all who have responded. In view of its highly specialized nature I
    believe the potential client base is too limited - perhaps 200 or so in all
    of North America. And only a very small percentage of these or none would
    realistically take an interest. So I can't see it being worth the cost,
    effort and risks.

    By some political means, I may precipitate a serious review by other
    manager(s) which may lead somewhere. But probably I will allow it to be
    forgotten and will then take it with me in case it can be revamped to suit my
    next employer's needs.

    My post should serve as a warning to all that office politics and culture
    will often prevail over logic. Management should first demonstrate a strong
    motivation to change (not just the tacit agreement I received). What I regard
    as a massively magnanimous act on my part was treated just about as shoddily
    as possible. And yes I am still venting. Appologies.

    Best regards to all,
    Greg

  11. #11
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Sell Program - Screwed by Managers !!!

    Life is too short not to do what makes you happy. I guess that's why, since
    I left the Air Force as an officer, I have ONLY worked for me.

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software

  12. #12
    SteveM
    Guest

    Re: Sell Program - Screwed by Managers !!!

    Greg,

    One last thing. You believe that your product would add significant
    value inside of your operational environment. But you think that your
    management team does not share your assessment. So the real value in
    the marketplace is still unknown. Peter T. made the recommendation for
    Beta testing the product. He's right, but I'd focus especially on
    the value proposition perceived by the target market (the testers.) If
    the feedback tracks with your assessment, then think about what that
    means in a niche market. How much do you think the product is worth in
    terms of productivity enhancements at your own enterprise?

    Look at it this way. The perpetual license as a software pricing model
    has proven to be an economic dead end. So boutique software developers
    have evolved a pricing model that delivers recurrent revenue. And
    that's through annual licensing. So say your product's value
    really is a no-brainer. And 25% of those 200 potential customers could
    really use the product. So you price it at $2,000 with an annual
    licensing fee of $1,000. Which is chump change in the grand scheme of
    things. So at 50 customers, that's $100K in upfront licensing. And
    then $50K per year in perpetuity for occasional upgrades. That's not
    a bad ROI for 200 hours of development work. And the market size is so
    small, there is little risk that a competitor will hop into the mix.

    If I truly believed in a product I developed like you do, I'd think
    about how to harvest some value if the level of effort to do that makes
    sense.

    SteveM

  13. #13
    Greg Wilson
    Guest

    Re: Sell Program - Screwed by Managers !!!

    Steve,

    > One last thing. You believe that your product would add significant
    > value inside of your operational environment. But you think that your
    > management team does not share your assessment.

    Of the two managers that run my life, one hasn't even had a look at it but
    has likely rejected it out of hand because I wrote it and it's contrary to
    his vision. The other is so burnt out by the former and another collegue
    that, as I write this, there is an add in the paper for his replacement at
    his insistance.

    The burnt out manager is the one who gave it a cursory review. He no longer
    gives a damn about the lab and wants to take the path of least resistance.
    And not having to learn anything new or change his routine is precisely that.
    And I suspect that subconsciously it also poses a threat because it would
    usurp the power they gain from having control of the process. So I don't
    believe the program has been assessed in a meaningful way.

    I do indeed believe that "the product would add significant value inside of
    [our] operational environment". Not so much because it is such a good product
    but because we are so dysfunctional and it is tailored to our needs. And I
    did offer to evolve and improve it.

    I think that you are likely out by a factor of 10 as to the percentage of
    the potential customers that might use the product. Mine is a civil
    engineering lab and these are almost always divisions of larger engineering
    firms whose managers pull the strings and are very much resistant to change.
    And I think few would be as badly off as us.

    I have not entirely given up at this point. I believe that an interested and
    objective managerial mind willing to dispence with the prevailing
    bureaucratic vision and look directly at the reality would see its merit.
    (Was that an oxymoron?)

    Greg

  14. #14
    SteveM
    Guest

    Re: Sell Program - Screwed by Managers !!!

    Greg,

    OK. First of all, forget about those guys you work for. They are not
    players in what you are trying to do. Question (rhetorical sort of),
    is your operating environment common to others in the same domain? If
    yes, could they encounter the same operational problems? If perhaps,
    you have to validate that. If yes, then you have a market outside of
    your current organization. And about how good the product is, the only
    question is the marginal value to your target customer. If they are
    dropping millions per year in management overhead to run the lab and
    your product reduces that burden even one half of one percent, the cost
    recovery really is a no-brainer.

    If the the real problem is organizational dysfunction, take my word for
    it, software never fixes that.

    SteveM

    P.S. Remember, you have to detach yourself emotionally. In the end
    it's just business...

  15. #15
    Greg Wilson
    Guest

    Re: Sell Program - Screwed by Managers !!!

    Thanks again Steve. I'll cool down in time (detach emotionally). It may still
    goahead as I mentioned if I circumvent the aforementioned mgrs. (The second
    one will be replaced soon anyway). However, if not, in time I think I may
    smooth it out and adapt it to a more general lab scenario. If I eventually
    beta test it, it won't knock anyone's socks off. But in the right environment
    and if supplanting a paper-based system, I think the approach can be of huge
    benefit.

    Greg

  16. #16
    Hello Greg,

    I know some civil engineering lab companies in Mexico, I actually live in Toronto and may get to know some of them (as I'm a civil engineer, I may know the field). So why don't you tell me more about this software of yours and let's see if it could be marketed.
    One concern about marketing this kind of software si that VBA lacks of a good security password, but there are some solutions around that could hel using hardlocks, or something like that; I'm currently investigating on that and posting here some questions about the subject to hear about their suitability.

    Best regards

  17. #17
    Nicolas Noakes
    Guest

    Re: Sell Program - Screwed by Managers !!!

    Greg,

    Think of what Steve said, "If the the real problem is organizational
    dysfunction, take my word for
    it, software never fixes that."

    The version I always try to remember is "Any complex system that works
    was based on a simple system which worked". Applied to software
    development, this means that no program is going to fix a process
    problem - the process must be correct before it can be automated.

    Sorry to dampen your enthusiasim, and good luck with getting some return
    on your effort.

    Regards,

    Nicolas

  18. #18
    Valued Forum Contributor tony h's Avatar
    England: London and Lincolnshire
    Posts
    1,187
    Pushing something in an organisation that doesn't like innovators can be dangerous. In my young(er!) days I was convinced that the economics of the company's hardware platform was leading to a distinct lack of competitiveness. I set about trying to influence a change eventually i (a junior engineer) invited the divisional director over for dinner (4 jumps in the management ladder) and managed to pursuade him. (after lots and lots of work) a change was made and I found myself friendless and without support. Everyone was happy with the change but they didn't want a young upstart around to threaten their existance.

    All I am saying here is that you have to get the politics right and that includes what you want out of life. It is far too easy to win a battle and lose the war.

    As for the IP content. Certainly in the UK it is difficult and costly to pursue an IP infringement in software. Mostly, especially in small operations such as yours would be, people just wouldn't bother. The trick is to look at your defences:
    - did you gain the industry knowledge before your currnet employer
    - did you gain the logical experience before your current employer and only apply it to the current industry
    - did someone else bring the relevant knowledge to the process.

    - rewrite key parts of the software so that it is not the same code, just does the same thing.

    Issues with selling software :
    - how much of your time will it take to sell? Don't underestimate this if it will need to be a budgeted purchase.
    - do you need support from anyone else to support the sell?
    - what support will the users need?
    - is it critical software ie if they use it and it stops working do they stop working?

    - how much training will be required?

    - how will you deliver it

    - is there a way to make it look less industry specific?

    If you are really determined to try and catch the attention of senior management Try printing up a brochure and posting them to the managers.

    Good luck. You can only die once.

    regards

  19. #19
    Greg Wilson
    Guest

    Re: Sell Program - Screwed by Managers !!!

    Thanks for responding Tony, Nicolas and Joseantonio.

    I'll grant you I sure got the politics wrong. I'm not worried about the
    friendship issues (no love lost between me and management already) but
    support for the program from management and colleagues and more generally for
    its concept is crucial. So politics is crucial.

    The program doesn't crunch numbers and produce results in an idustry
    specific way. It serves as an electronic administrative system and
    facilitates lab operation and management as one can glean from the term Lab
    Information Management System (LIMS). It is industry specific only in that it
    is structurally suited to this type of lab.

    It will require a great deal of extra work and redesign to make it
    marketable. It is almost certainly flawed and/or defficient in some ways
    since it is complex and has never actually been used. I have come to the
    conclusion that it needs a history of real world use with me in attendance
    before it should be marketed. Hopefully I will still manage this. However, I
    imagine that implementing and subsequently evolving and improving the program
    in a company specific environment will compromise (or nullify) my claim to
    it. So I'm undecided what to do here.

    The notion that my employer should have so much as a nanogram of claim to it
    makes me nauseous. At this point, they have contributed absolutely zip to its
    development and concept. The risk I see is that if and when I leave (likely)
    and it finds some utility with the new employer, knowing them, they would
    throw a wrench into the works. Of course, it was tested and still resides on
    the company network since it is designed to be network based. And since they
    backup the nework weekly they will have a permanent copy (unless they destroy
    it after awhile ???).

    Thanks guys for the input and support.

    Greg