Using Excel as a database and need macro or vba to take data entered on one tab and update the database by adding to the next avail row

  1. #1
    rjr
    Guest

    Using Excel as a database and need macro or vba to take data entered on one tab and update the database by adding to the next avail row

    Hi,
    I have one sheet of excel used to enter data into cells arranged as an input
    form. All these entries are transferred to a second sheet that I use as a
    merge file for a couple of WORD documents. Right now it functions as a
    single entry database that is only good for one data record.

    I'm looking for a way to
    1. Take all data from this worsheet tab and save it into the next available
    row on my database. Eventually I need to add row 2 row 3 row 4 and so on,
    and this could be the information source for my flat database.

    2. Be able to go to a specific record on the database sheet and alter the
    data to permanently change it.

    Basically I would like to have a macro to SAVE - NEXT - PREVIOUS - PRIOR
    the database portion consists of about 75 columns for each record.

    Any help would be appreciated if this is possible.

    Hope someone has some code or a solution.
    Thank you
    Bob Reynolds

  2. #2
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Using Excel as a database and need macro or vba to take data entered on one tab and update the database by adding to the next avail row

    Hi rjr

    Start here
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy1.htm

    Post back if you need more help

    --
    Regards Ron De Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

  3. #3
    rjr
    Guest

    Re: Using Excel as a database and need macro or vba to take data entered on one tab and update the database by adding to the next avail row

    Really great stuff there and I might need a little tweaking.
    A little more detail.
    I have 35 sheets in my workbook. 30 of them calculate amortizations for data
    entered on the "Data Entry Sheet" and are printed seperately and they work
    fine. This same "Data Entry Sheet" is used to provide information in each
    field of the worksheet "Merge Data".
    The "Merge Data" sheet is used as the data source for a mail merge into
    WORD.
    My delima is that with this setup I can only use one workbook at a time for
    each merged document, as there is no way to have the sheet "Merge Data"
    capture more than one row at a time.

    I tried using your examples and they all go to "all sheets" instead of being
    able to select just one sheet and pasting the information into the "Master"
    worksheet.

    How can I get the macro to go only to the 'Merge Data" sheet and take that
    one row of information and paste that into the "Master" worksheet but allow
    the Master to continue to have record one, record two, record three etc
    continually pasted to them so after using 15 complete entries I can have 15
    rows with the information and select which row I want to use for mail merge.

    Hope this is clear. Worksheet can be made avail offline if necessary.

    Thanks so much
    Bob Reynolds
    news:%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Using Excel as a database and need macro or vba to take data entered on one tab and update the database by adding to the next avail row

    >I tried using your examples and they all go to "all sheets" instead of being able to select just one sheet and pasting the
    >information into the "Master" worksheet.

    Which example do you use ???
    Do you go to this page

  5. #5
    rjr
    Guest

    Re: Using Excel as a database and need macro or vba to take data entered on one tab and update the database by adding to the next avail row

    I used test 4 and made sure I put the last col and last row in also.
    Unfortunately I have the headers but all the rows don't have information all
    the way to the last col. It appears when the master opened up it took data
    from all my sheets?
    Don't know enough about vb to give you an accurate desc there....
    BOB

  6. #6
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Using Excel as a database and need macro or vba to take data entered on one tab and update the database by adding to the next avail row

    Send the link and the exact name of the macro you use