Searching Database

  1. #1

    Searching Database

    Hi,

    I have two seperate excel files (file1: inventory.xls, file2:order.xls) each with two columns (col a: part #, col b: quantity). Using the part # from order.xls i would like to search inventory.xls for the same part # and add/subtract the respective numeric quantities.

    *the part# is a combination of letters and numbers, roughly AAAA####

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Mark Driscol
    Guest

    Re: Searching Database

    You could put something like this formula in Cell C1 or order.xls.

    =SUMIF('[Inventory.xls]Sheet1'!$A:$A,A1,'[Inventory.xls]Sheet1'!$B:$B)

    Mark

  3. #3

    possible through macros/vba?

    mark,

    I was hoping to add other functions later and would like to implement it through macros. Is this possible?

    Thanks,
    Andrew