help creating helper column

  1. #1
    Allen Clark
    Guest

    help creating helper column

    I have a situation where I need to compare week1 from one year to week1 from
    another year. The problem is that I have the dates, amounts, and categories
    in a raw dump from an external application in a text file and am able to
    import it into Excel. The issue that I need to do is to be able to create
    another column that will contain the week identifier based on the date
    column.
    example:

    Category Date Amount
    35 4/18/2005 120.00
    35 4/18/2005 170.00
    36 4/19/2005 322.00
    ..
    ..
    ..
    45 4/22/2006 118.00
    46 4/23/2006 131.00
    45 4/23/2006 96.00

    With a helper column, I should be able to create a pivot table that is based
    on the helper column (week number), instead of the date so I can get totals
    for the week instead of for the day. Does anyone have any suggestions on
    how
    to create this helper column? The data source has over 16000 lines and I
    don't want to have to manually enter values (even with copy and paste) for
    this many lines of data.

    Any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance,
    Allen
    ps Posted in admin as well (managed newsgroup). Now, I take it to the REAL
    experts! Thanks.

  2. #2
    jseven
    Guest

    Re: help creating helper column

    Have faith my friend... Excel has you covered!
    Make sure your have the analysis toolpack selected under add-ins, then
    use the =weeknum() formula. It's that easy. I would suggest after
    your enter the formula and get the results, that you paste over the
    formula with the values so that your sheet won't have to recalc all
    those rows on each calculation, and that if you share it with someone
    who doens't have the analysis tolpack installed they won't have an
    error.

    Regards,
    Jamie