Retreving data from Web page

  1. #1
    tech
    Guest

    Retreving data from Web page

    Hi,

    re: http://www.investor.reuters.wallst.c...asp?ticker=IBM

    Trying to retrieve specific info from the web page.
    ie: EPS (TTM) vs TTM 1 Yr. Ago

    I can't seem to retrieve any data from the page, I have tried using the
    following:

    #1:
    'Microsoft.XMLHTTP, MS COM object to retrieve data from another website via
    HTTP requests
    Set xmlhttp = CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")

    #2:
    Set oIE = New SHDocVw.InternetExplorer
    'Open the web page
    oIE.Navigate
    "http://www.investor.reuters.wallst.com/stocks/Ratios.asp?ticker=IBM

    What is the best way to retrieve the data from this page?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Tim Williams
    Guest

    Re: Retreving data from Web page

    What specifically happened when you tried those approaches?
    They are both valid methods.

    --
    Tim Williams
    Palo Alto, CA

  3. #3
    tech
    Guest

    Re: Retreving data from Web page

    Hi,

    When I view the contents of the variable it doesn't have any of the data
    shown on the webpage.
    ie: EPS (TTM) vs TTM 1 Yr. Ago

    Thanks.

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Randy Harmelink

    tech wrote:

    > When I view the contents of the variable it doesn't have any of the data
    > shown on the webpage.
    > ie: EPS (TTM) vs TTM 1 Yr. Ago

    Which variable are you looking at? You'll need to search through the
    attributes of the oIE object to find the particular piece of
    information you're looking for, or at least search the innerHTML using
    InStr(). The page you're looking at using DIV and SPAN tags instead of
    HTML tables, so it may be easier to use InStr().

    If you're doing a lot with EXCEL and the stock market, I'd suggest a
    visit to:

    They have tools in their libraries to retrieve financial data from web
    pages.