How do I stop the SQL Login screen when refreshing a query.

  1. #1
    Elbmag
    Guest

    How do I stop the SQL Login screen when refreshing a query.

    I want to share a workbook that utilizes a ODBC SQL query. When the workbook
    is opened users a presented a SQL login screen showing the username, password
    , and SQL server. All the user has to do to clear this screen and refresh
    the data is click 'OK'. How can I prevent this screen from being displayed
    at all?

  2. #2
    Dave Patrick
    Guest

    Re: How do I stop the SQL Login screen when refreshing a query.

    Does your SQL server use windows authentication? Domain or workgroup? What
    connection string are you using?

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

  3. #3
    Elbmag
    Guest

    Re: How do I stop the SQL Login screen when refreshing a query.

    The SQL Server uses "SQL Server and Windows" authentication. This server and
    the users using the workbook are all on the same domain.

    I'm not sure what connection string I'm using. I set the query up within
    Excel using the data menu-import external data-new database query. I then
    choose a data source I had set up previously for that SQL Server.

    When I open the query editor and look at the SQL Statement that is generated
    I do not see a connection string just the joings and so forth of the tables.

    I appreciate any help or assistance you can provide.

  4. #4
    Dave Patrick
    Guest

    Re: How do I stop the SQL Login screen when refreshing a query.

    If you're using a DSN then take a look at what credentials it uses. Control
    Panel|Administrative Tools|Data Sources

    If you use Integrated Windows authentication then you can ADD 'Domain Users'
    or 'Authenticated Users' as db_datareader on your SQL Server .....
    Security|Logins