Get VBA procedures from DB

  1. #1
    Hiran de Silva
    Guest

    Get VBA procedures from DB

    Hi,

    Have anyone got a workable plan for this?

    I want a 'light' Excel 2000 workbook to get VBA code from a (SQL Server
    2000) database and run it. ie. to create an Excel application 'on the fly'.

    The plan is to distribute a generic workbook to users around the world, so
    that we can keep adding and improving features indefinitely.

    All thoughts welcome.
    Thanks,
    Hiran

  2. #2
    John.Greenan
    Guest

    RE: Get VBA procedures from DB

    It's would not be a "light" workbook, it's quite heavy.

    Assuming you follow the usual way of extracting data from MSSQL (ADO on top
    of OLEDB) you will need to have code to

    1. Connect to the database.
    2. Select the 'correct' code
    3. Access the workbook to either add the code or create a reference to a
    downloaded code object.

    So, you have to ensure that the user has ADO, trusts access to the excel
    development environment and/or has a certificate for your code installed.

    This is basically a bad idea - try another way. Good luck

    --
    www.alignment-systems.com

  3. #3
    Hiran de Silva
    Guest

    Re: Get VBA procedures from DB

    Hi John,

    Thanks.
    I'm ok with steps 1 and 2.
    On Step 3 I will need to put the VBA code in a text field from a
    'development Excel workbook' with some sort of carriage return delimiters, I
    guess. Is there a tool for this?
    Then, putting the retrieved code into the Client workbook - I found a
    tutorial in Chip Pearson's site (thanks Chip).

    An example would be nice. Anybody?

    BTW 'light' workbook because all it will have will be code for (1) a
    connection (2) which code to retrieve. (a 15k file?)

    Thanks in advance,
    Hiran

  4. #4
    John.Greenan
    Guest

    Re: Get VBA procedures from DB

    it's not that simple. You cannot easily add lots of code to an excel
    workbook. I suggest you have a try and then re-design when you get stuck.

    good luck

    --
    www.alignment-systems.com