How to extract email addresses to new column

  1. #1
    Inquirer
    Guest

    How to extract email addresses to new column

    I have a large spreadsheet with email addresses lumped together in the
    same column as phone numbers. I am trying to extract the email
    addresses and place them in a new column within the same worksheet.

    I don't have much of a background in setting up macros or formulas.

    Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Johnny
    Guest

    Re: How to extract email addresses to new column

    Can you post some examples of the fields that are lumped together?
    Maybe there's always a space between the two pieces of data and you can
    split it that way?

    Thanks,
    Johnny

  3. #3
    Charlie
    Guest

    RE: How to extract email addresses to new column

    if you want to use formulas, not VBA, and your addresses and phone numbers
    are separated by a single space try this (assuming your list is in column "A")

    in cell "B1" enter the formula

    =LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)

    in cell "C1" enter

    =MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,LEN(A1)-LEN(B1))

    then select cells "B1:C1" and drag (copy) them down to the end of your list

  4. #4
    Inquirer

    Johnny wrote:
    > Can you post some examples of the fields that are lumped together?
    > Maybe there's always a space between the two pieces of data and you can
    > split it that way?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Johnny

    This is a sammple of what the information in the cell contains....

    555-778-3230 cell 555-252-5972 [email protected]

    555-676-5332 [email protected]

    555-846-5352 work 555-254-5505 home 555-668-6321 cell
    [email protected] [email protected]

    555-761-1436 home 555-216-1286 cell [email protected]

    555-682-5533 work 555-642-7987 cell 555-867-2592 home
    [email protected]

  5. #5
    Johnny
    Guest

    Re: How to extract email addresses to new column

    Try using the Text to Column function under the Data menu. Choose
    delimited and use a space as the delimiter. Otherwise, I would use a
    formula as suggested by another poster. Finally, if that doesn't work,
    you might try using Regular Expressions in VBScript. I won't go into
    that if the other two ideas work.

    Thanks,
    Johnny