Editing Word Document within Excel

  1. #1

    Editing Word Document within Excel

    I am creating a dispatch system for an RV transportation company.

    When an RV is dispatched to be delivered, they prepare a bill of lading
    and a driver delivery agreement; the bill of lading is originally a
    word document, and contains all of the legalese concerning the unit,
    delivery, damages, etc. The delivery agreement basically says "this is
    what we will pay for the trip". The delivery agreement is an original
    excel document.

    What I am writing is when the user dispatches Unit 12345 to be
    delivered by driver 999, for example, it will create (from database
    entries within excel), a properly formatted Bill of Lading. When Unit
    12345 is scheduled for delivery and initially accepted by the company
    for transport, the recipient RV dealership is already defined, and will
    be defined in the database; as well as the manufacturer. The procedure
    will retrieve the necessary data from the Unit and Manufacturer records
    to create the B/L.

    Is there a way, from within Excel, to programmatically have Excel place
    these database values onto the B/L form to print the B/L form. The
    original B/L was a word document, and I already have it inserted as an
    object into the Excel SS. I might redesign the B/L into an Excel SS
    and make it easier, but is there a way to have Excel programmatically
    place the necessary values from the databases directly into the Word
    object within the Excel SS?

  2. #2
    Tim Marsh
    Guest

    Re: Editing Word Document within Excel

    Yes, you can control Word to such an extent, I have a similar system where i
    record a log of all my work in a spreadsheet, which then opens a document
    template and inserts items from the spreadsheet into the word document by
    using a find/replace macro; i enclose the bits i want to replace in pointy
    brackets like <this>. as a finishing touch, it also automatically sets a
    hyper-link in the spreadsheet straight to the document.

    unfortunately, i don't have that spreadsheet on this laptop and the code is
    too long-winded for me to start writing it from scratch now! I'm sure
    someone much more professional than me will be along shortly with the
    answer. but if you have any specific questions, post them and i'll try and
    answer.

    hth,

    Tim

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gonzo
    Guest

    Re: Editing Word Document within Excel

    I honestly don't know if you can change a Word object that's embedded
    in Excel.

    The proper way would be to either (as you said) convert this document
    to an Excel spreadsheet, or to programmatically modify the Word
    document from within Excel (which is not that difficult, lots of
    information to be found on the www).

    By the way, what's an RV...?

  4. #4
    Tim Marsh
    Guest

    Re: Editing Word Document within Excel

    ah - i missd the bit about it being embedded into the spreadsheet; but i'm
    still pretty sure you must be able to refer to it as a Word object. though
    having said that, if you are going to the trouble of embedding a word doc in
    a spreadsheet, you might as well make the whole thing spreadsheet based.

    i think an RV is a Recreation Vehicle?! we don't have such things in jolly
    old England... but I'm sure they talked about them on 'The A-Team' back in
    the day

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5

    Re: Editing Word Document within Excel

    I was able to draw up a Bill of Lading within Excel that looks VERY
    close to the one in word, so I'm just going to have excel place values
    at x,y within a range - keep it simple!

    Yes, an RV is a recreational vehicle.

    Thanks to all