Closed Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Path/file access error

  1. #1
    Scott
    Guest

    Path/file access error

    If the file sits there without being accessed for a while, it gives a message
    of "Path/file access error" in vbe. After I click "OK" several times (because
    the message keeps pumping up), another message appears, "An unexpected error
    occurred. AutoRecover has been disabled for this session of Excel." I click
    "OK" and the message is gone. But when I try to save the file, it says,
    "Document not saved." So, I have to close the file without saving, then it
    sends a typical error message, "Microsoft Office Excel has encountered a
    problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." and I have
    to choose "Send Error Report" or "Don't Send".

    Anyone knows the reasons and how to fix it?

  2. #2
    Tim Williams
    Guest

    Re: Path/file access error

    Any VBA involved, or is this basically an autorecover problem?

    What is "the file" - a particular workbook or just a random file?

    Tim

  3. #3
    Scott
    Guest

    Re: Path/file access error

    I believe it is related to the vba of this file (or workbook) because the
    error happens only to this particular file which has extensive vba codes. No
    such problem for any other Excel files.

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Tim Williams
    Guest

    Re: Path/file access error

    Difficult to diagnose without seeing any code.
    Maybe try disabling any error handling and see what line it fails on.

  5. #5
    Ken McLennan
    Guest

    Re: Path/file access error

    G'day there Scott,

    [This followup was posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming and a
    copy was sent to the cited author.]

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    > the message keeps pumping up), another message appears, "An unexpected error
    > occurred. AutoRecover has been disabled for this session of Excel." I click
    > "OK" and the message is gone. But when I try to save the file, it says,
    > "Document not saved." So, I have to close the file without saving, then it
    > sends a typical error message, "Microsoft Office Excel has encountered a
    > problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." and I have
    > to choose "Send Error Report" or "Don't Send".
    >
    > Anyone knows the reasons and how to fix it?

    I don't know whether or not you've solved your problem, and I
    apologise for the late response, but I've had similar issues with that
    error message and found that my problems disappeared if I opened the
    file with macros disabled, opened the VBE and simply compiled the code
    without running any macros. I then saved the file, shut down excel adn
    then proceeded again as normal. That little procedure has saved my rear
    end about half a dozen times so far =).

    I know it's caused by something in the code I wrote, but I've no
    idea what. Once or twice I've found snippets of code that generated it
    and removed them, but I didn't bother to take note of them at the time.
    Still, if that helps then all is well.

    See ya
    Ken McLennan
    Qld, Australia

  6. #6
    Scott
    Guest

    Re: Path/file access error

    Ken,

    Thanks for your attention.

    I tried as what you said and let the file sitting there for the whole night.
    The file still gave the same error message this morning. However, instead
    of pumping up over 10 of them (I had to keep clicking "OK") as what happened
    before, I only got two. So, it works in someway though there are still some
    problems. My program has 20 spreadsheets, and a MultiPage Control on the
    form. I found that the error has nothing to do with VBA codes but a lot to
    do with the number of spreadsheets and pages. To test it, I deleted all
    codes, but the error was still there. The number of the same error messages
    actually decreases as more sheets or pages were deleted. (It doesn't matter
    what sheets or pages were deleted). It completely disappeared when only two
    sheets and two pages were left. Is it strange?

    Well, I appreciate your help.

    Scott

    "Ken McLennan" wrote:

    > G'day there Scott,
    >

    > [This followup was posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming and a
    > copy was sent to the cited author.]
    >
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    >
    > > the message keeps pumping up), another message appears, "An unexpected error
    > > occurred. AutoRecover has been disabled for this session of Excel." I click
    > > "OK" and the message is gone. But when I try to save the file, it says,
    > > "Document not saved." So, I have to close the file without saving, then it
    > > sends a typical error message, "Microsoft Office Excel has encountered a
    > > problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." and I have
    > > to choose "Send Error Report" or "Don't Send".
    > >
    > > Anyone knows the reasons and how to fix it?
    > >

    > I don't know whether or not you've solved your problem, and I
    > apologise for the late response, but I've had similar issues with that
    > error message and found that my problems disappeared if I opened the
    > file with macros disabled, opened the VBE and simply compiled the code
    > without running any macros. I then saved the file, shut down excel adn
    > then proceeded again as normal. That little procedure has saved my rear
    > end about half a dozen times so far =).
    >
    > I know it's caused by something in the code I wrote, but I've no
    > idea what. Once or twice I've found snippets of code that generated it
    > and removed them, but I didn't bother to take note of them at the time.
    > Still, if that helps then all is well.
    >
    > See ya
    > Ken McLennan
    > Qld, Australia