Open Access from Excel

  1. #1
    Daniel Bonallack
    Guest

    Open Access from Excel

    I currently have code in Excel VBA that pulls data from Access in my Excel
    worksheet. However, it runs about 10 times faster if Access is already open.
    And (I'm not sure of this), I think it helps if an Access query is open and
    in design view.

    Can I have the code to:
    1. Open Access database XXXX.mdb, if it is not already open
    2. Open the query YYYY in design view
    3. Ensure that the Excel worksheet is still active

    Hope this isn't a big ask - thanks very much in advance

    regards
    Daniel Bonallack

  2. #2
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Open Access from Excel

    Daniel,
    How are you pulling the data into excel ?

    NickHK

    "Daniel Bonallack" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Daniel Bonallack
    Guest

    Re: Open Access from Excel

    Hi Nick

    Thanks for responding. I'm using VBA code in Excel to run an SQL query on
    the closed Access database, and import the data into Excel.

    Do you need me to be more specific? I can copy in the code if you want, but
    it's quite long.

    Daniel

  4. #4
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Open Access from Excel

    Daniel,
    You using VBA with ADO recordset or Excel's Data>Get External data
    functionality.
    Just post the opening code.

  5. #5
    Daniel Bonallack
    Guest

    Re: Open Access from Excel

    I guess this would be the basic code.
    So I want to check that Access is open, and preferably have a query open in
    design view
    Thanks!

    Sub GetBaseData()

    Dim DBFullName As String
    Dim Cnct As String, Src As String
    Dim Connection As ADODB.Connection
    Dim Recordset As ADODB.Recordset

    DBFullName = "xxx.mdb"

    ' Open the connection
    Set Connection = New ADODB.Connection
    Cnct = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; "
    Cnct = Cnct & "Data Source=" & DBFullName & ";"
    Connection.Open ConnectionString:=Cnct

    With Recordset
    Src = "daniel's sql query code"
    .Open Source:=Src, ActiveConnection:=Connection

    Sheets("data").Select

    ' Write the field names
    For Col = 0 To Recordset.Fields.Count - 1
    Range("A1").Offset(0, Col).Value = Recordset.Fields(Col).Name
    Next

    ' Write the recordset
    Range("A1").Offset(1, 0).CopyFromRecordset Recordset
    End With

    Set Recordset = Nothing
    Connection.Close
    Set Connection = Nothing

    End Sub

  6. #6
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Open Access from Excel

    Daniel,
    I see no reason why you would need to open Access; you are using Jet/OLEDB
    to query the .mdb, so Access is irrelevant.
    The source of the apparent delay lies elsewhere.

  7. #7
    Daniel Bonallack
    Guest

    Re: Open Access from Excel

    OK, thanks. I posted a "what's causing the delay" question to the forum a
    while back, but didn't get an answer. Simply put, if I have Access open, the
    data extracts faster. If Access is closed, it still works, but instead of 8
    seconds, it can be closer to 90 seconds.

    If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them. And if you know of simple
    code to open Access anyway, I'd still like to learn it, even if that isn't my
    problem here.

  8. #8
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Open Access from Excel

    Daniel,
    This should get you started:
    http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/...b229ea&t=27242

    NickHK

    "Daniel Bonallack" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > OK, thanks. I posted a "what's causing the delay" question to the forum a
    > while back, but didn't get an answer. Simply put, if I have Access open,

    the
    > data extracts faster. If Access is closed, it still works, but instead of

    8
    > seconds, it can be closer to 90 seconds.
    >
    > If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them. And if you know of simple
    > code to open Access anyway, I'd still like to learn it, even if that isn't

    my
    > problem here.
    >

    > "NickHK" wrote:
    >
    > > Daniel,
    > > I see no reason why you would need to open Access; you are using

    Jet/OLEDB
    > > to query the .mdb, so Access is irrelevant.
    > > The source of the apparent delay lies elsewhere.
    > >
    > > NickHK
    > >
    > > "Daniel Bonallack" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > message news:[email protected]...
    > > > I guess this would be the basic code.
    > > > So I want to check that Access is open, and preferably have a query

    open
    > > in
    > > > design view
    > > > Thanks!
    > > >
    > > > Sub GetBaseData()
    > > >
    > > > Dim DBFullName As String
    > > > Dim Cnct As String, Src As String
    > > > Dim Connection As ADODB.Connection
    > > > Dim Recordset As ADODB.Recordset
    > > >
    > > > DBFullName = "xxx.mdb"
    > > >

    > > > ' Open the connection
    > > > Set Connection = New ADODB.Connection
    > > > Cnct = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; "
    > > > Cnct = Cnct & "Data Source=" & DBFullName & ";"
    > > > Connection.Open ConnectionString:=Cnct
    > > >

    > > > With Recordset
    > > > Src = "daniel's sql query code"
    > > > .Open Source:=Src, ActiveConnection:=Connection
    > > >
    > > > Sheets("data").Select
    > > >
    > > > ' Write the field names
    > > > For Col = 0 To Recordset.Fields.Count - 1
    > > > Range("A1").Offset(0, Col).Value =

    Recordset.Fields(Col).Name
    > > > Next
    > > >
    > > > ' Write the recordset
    > > > Range("A1").Offset(1, 0).CopyFromRecordset Recordset
    > > > End With
    > > >
    > > > Set Recordset = Nothing
    > > > Connection.Close
    > > > Set Connection = Nothing

    in

    > > query on

    > > want,

    wrote
    > > in

    news:[email protected]...

  9. #9
    Daniel Bonallack
    Guest

    Re: Open Access from Excel

    Hi Nick

    Thanks very much. Looking at some of the other posts today, I notice that
    you try to find out what someone is trying to achieve, rather than just
    giving them an answer. That's really helpful - I often think I know what I'm
    doing, but then it turns out I'm approaching the problem the wrong way.

    Thanks again for your help today.

    regards
    Daniel

  10. #10
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Open Access from Excel

    Daniel,
    My work is kind of slow at the moment, so I have more time to contribute.
    There's normally many ways to perform similar actions, so if you know the
    ultimate goal, it make the choice of methods more rational.
    For example the recent poster who insists on running code in edit mode. As
    we have no idea what he is trying to achieve, it is not possible to offer
    alternatives apart from "No can do".